Saturday, January 13, 2018

Rainy Saturday

We headed into the city for Indian food for lunch, it’s kind of a Saturday tradition. Ha ha, tradition, I say. How long do you have to be doing something for it to become a tradition? Our Saturday routine. Married couple. “On Saturday, me and the missus like going into town for some of that Indian food.”

Call me old fashioned, but I don’t like sharing my lunch with sparrows, one of the problems at Melbourne Central with its open walkways. Some of them have black faces, and some of them have pale faces, and some of them have brown stripes. The little monsters are all around, hopping from rafters to tables to peck at the dishes, a swish of the hand and they are gone, but they are soon back. I guess they are just trying to eke out an existence like the rest of us. “Get away,” I say. I flap out my hand. Swish, swish. They jump and fly up to the roof again, only to drop back down once my hands are busy again. “Get away.” I swish my hand once more. The whole thing repeats. My lunch is accompanied by the constant flapping of little wings. Oh, I know, I shouldn’t be so precious, there are people in the world who don’t have access to fresh water.

Then we went to Myer to buy iTunes card which were on sale at a 20% discount, which Sam bought with a Myer gift card which he bought when they were on sale at a 10% discount. So, we’ll be getting all our music 30% cheaper for the foreseeable future. Sam likes a good deal. He is never embarrassed to ask for a discount for paying cash, or if the seller can do better than the marked price, and more often than not he gets a better price.

When we came out of Myer it was raining. We dashed up Little Bourke Street dodging the raindrops as best we could, but then again, everybody else were trying to dodge the rain drops as well, jockeying for the position closest to the shop fronts. It is funny the attitude those closest to the shop fronts display, the strongest show pluck not giving way to anyone. I’m walking here! I’m walking here! And they are those remain the driest. I try it for a while, but it takes attitude, it takes being fearless, it takes bravado, which suck my energy. Sam hates walking in the rain, I don’t mind it so much, so I end up giving way. It eventually somehow seems rude not to.

We came home and watched the entire 2nd series of Stranger Things. What else do you do on a rainy Saturday afternoon.


No comments: