Monday, April 05, 2021

Damn! It Doesn't Work Without A Screen

My first MacBook Pro was great nothing ever went wrong with it. Sam replaced the memory, upgrading it several times, other than that, I was every happy with it.

That was until it was 9 years old and Apple decided to cut it off from any further upgrades, effectively rendering it obsolete.

In other words, Apple decided arbitrarily that I needed to give them more money to continue along my Apple journey. There really was no other reason for this.

So, $4000 later, I could continue along my merry Apple way.

I got the MacBook Pro with the dreadful butterfly keyboard. And one by one most of the keys went dead, after which many of them failed altogether. Eventually, Apple replaced the keyboard under warranty, but they only replaced the butterfly keyboard with a new butterfly keyboard. The keys are going dead again, I guess I just have to put up with it now.

Last night, my screen failed. It hasn't failed altogether, it still works if the screen is only open up to about a 45 degree angle, open it any more and the screen goes black.

My new MacBook Pro is now just 4 years old. I would have thought a premium product would last longer, otherwise I'd buy a windows product for 1/4 of the price and just throw it away when the screen failed four years later. (sorry, planet earth)

Sam used to always buy the latest MacBook, giving his old laptops to his nephews. That was until his programming roles supplied him with the MacBook of his choice. 

Always looking for (and generally finding) a good deal, Sam bought himself a really cheap second hand MacBook to have as his own, spare, if you like, while he used his work supplied machine. It's 13 inch and its pink.

"You bought a pink laptop," I said.

I think Apple used to call it rose.

"You have bought a Barbie laptop," I said.

"I don't care what colour it is," said Sam.

"It's like a purse," I said. "It is something you'd buy to match your shoes."

"It was cheap."

So, you guessed it, I'm reduced to using the Barbie purse. I should be thankful that Sam lets me use it as I was so rude about it when he bought it. "Are you going to match it to your lipstick?" But, it allows me to have a laptop, when mine is broken. 10 minutes to set up my own sign in and everything from my laptop is at my fingertips.


No comments: