Tuesday, April 06, 2021

But, I Don't Want to Go Back To The Office?

I was chatting to my boss, Boris, today, and she said she was in the office today. Then she said something like, "How about you?"

What the fuck, I thought? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I told her that I didn't want to go, straight out, like I was talking to a friend. It feels like that when I am home in my study talking on my mobile phone. She didn't object, she said something about what exercise I was getting. The phone call was about something else, this was just the last part of the conversation, and then we hung up.

I have been thinking about it all afternoon, and I keep coming back to the idea that that wasn't just a passing remark on the end of an unrelated conversation. No, I don't think so. I think that was the first salvo in, what I fear may become, a concerted effort to return me to the office. Grimace. 

It is the dreaded corporate double speak. You know, everything is duplicitous in the corporate world now. Well, maybe duplicitous is overstating it a touch, but it has that feeling about it. Don't upset, don't offend, but the interpretation of that is don't do as you say and don't say what you mean. 

So, so much for my next-up-the-chain boss, who happens to be the CFO, who said we could work out our working arrangements ourselves. Maybe, my interpretation of that being a forever thing (just a moment my baby bulldog wants a word) was naive. But that's what he said, there were no provisos.


No comments: