Monday, April 19, 2021

I’ve Still Got That Stupid Cyst and Buzzing Feet

I lay in bed at 5am and thought about the things I had to do today? I kind of like that time of the morning, first light, or the moments before first light. The peace, the calm, nothing but Sam and two bulldogs snoring. Pay my credit card, and call for a cancelled appointment at the doctor at 8.30am. 8.30am seemed a long way off.

Suddenly, monthly car insurance seemed like a stupid decision, lying there in the dark. (Oh, I was going to sell the car but then covid hit and somehow, I still have it)

The infected skin pour on my stomach still hasn’t gone away, (its nearly as long as the stupid car insurance) and I read an article on sepsis recently that scared the bejesus outta me. (word origin, when Judas took his lord and saviour up his clacker)

And I still have buzzing feet. David gave it some medical term – I forget my friend the new age guru is a doctor sometimes, of course, he won’t give any medical advice when asked – I want to say peripheral neuropathy, he offered up without being asked.

I was up at 8.25am. Creak, crack, groan. You gotta love mornings.

I called the clinic at 8.30am on the dot to see if there were any cancelations for Doctor Raymond and I got an appointment for 10.45. Lovely. Don’t you hate calling your doctor to be told he is booked up for 2 weeks forcing you to mumble something about being dead by then. 

Sam and Bruno were up at 8.30am.

10.15am. I got in the shower. Going to the doctor, I was going to walk, but I left it too late. Well, I am working today, of course.

10.35am. I leave for the doctor.

I drove.

10.46am. I got to the Clinic. I needed a mask to enter the clinic, who knew. (masks seem so yesterday already)

Doctor Raymond gave the buzzing feet the same medical term David did, and I was going to tell David gave me that information too, but decided against it. “My friend the new age spiritualist agrees with you…” Could you imagine the look on his face? (I could feel a smile creep across my mouth)

So, my blood sugars are creeping up again (which could be the cause of the buzzing feet). Grrrr! (my smile disappeared) Raymond pointed out that my Sept 2020 blood test was the best, low level sugars, reduced cholesterol. 

“What were you doing then?” he asked.

“I was exercising for an hour a day and watching my diet more closely.”

“You need to go back to that.” He gave me that doctor-knows-best kind of look.

Oh yes, of course, I could do that. (I could feel a grimace) Oh, the pain, the pain. (Oh, it’s okay once you get into the habit of it, its just maintaining that momentum which can be hard)

Apparently, the infected whatever it is on my stomach – I want to say skin pour – is quite common for whatever it is. Raymond laughed when I told him about the sepsis article. “Stop reading internet articles,” he said.

I laughed… nervously.

“Try more antibiotics,” said Raymond. “But you might find you will have to get it cut out eventually.”

Cut out, I thought? Raymond must have read the alarm in my eyes, and he answered with an it-will-be-fine eye expression of his own. Someone is going to stick a knife into me? Oh, the joy.

Anyway, no time to think about that, I was on my way to the bank.


No comments: