Wednesday, April 07, 2021

The 2016-2017 MacBook Pro Is A Faulty Dud

So, Apple doesn’t want to repair my 2016-2017 MacBook Pro. Well, they do want to repair it at a cost of $1400 to me.

From many and varied sources the 2016-2017 MacBook Pro was a dud. Apple sold me a $4000 laptop which was faulty. It had the, acknowledged by Apple, faulty butterfly keyboard and it has a screen fault.

If my computer broke from wear and tear, which is what Apple is claiming is the problem, I’d say sure, fair enough. Apple can’t guard against bad luck. 

Except, I have read the forums, Sam has read the serious IT forums, and there are many, many owners of the 2016-2017 model MacBook Pro who have also had the very same wear and tear issue which rendered their screens broken. So many owners of the 2016-2017 model MacBook Pro whose laptops screen has failed with the very same wear and tear screen issue.

How can it not be a fault, if many, many, many of their computers suffer from the same problem.

Pay the money, says Apple, and if at some point in the future Apple decides this is a fault with this model, they will refund the repair cost back to me. If I accepted that here is the problem, they are replacing the defective butterfly keyboard with a new defective butterfly keyboard (they are offering to replace my keyboard for a second time free of charge) , they are replacing the defective screen components with new defective screen components, what they are doing is replacing the old defective parts with new defective parts in what is now my $5400 Apple MacBook Pro laptop. They are asking me to spend more money on my defective laptop. Would I have bought this computer if I knew it was going to cost me $5400?

There is a petition about this issue that has 32 thousand signatures. Wear and tear, Apple says, exactly the same wear and tear for 32 thousand people?

There is a court case from a group of consumers accusing Apple of knowingly selling the laptops, despite the defect, that says that Apple would have been alerted to the issue thanks to pre-release testing.

So, my thinking is, rather than getting a dud computer repaired with dud parts, I’d put the $1400 towards a new computer. It’s only logical. But, then I am being forced to pay $8000 in four years on Apple laptops. Seriously? Is that fair?

Apple doesn’t care about its customers, what other conclusion can we come to? But, hang on, wasn’t that one of Apples strongest assets, it’s fiercely loyal customer base. So fiercely loyal customer base, here’s something to think about. Apple will sell you dud products and they don’t care when their dud products fail. That is the only conclusion I can come to. It’s kind of like finding out Mahatma Gandhi was a paedophile.

Premium products, I thought. I thought I was paying for quality, but clearly, I was wrong. So, do I really want to pay, what is clearly a premium price, for potentially another dud product yet again?


No comments: