Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Winter is Coming

Jesus fuck me Christ, it's cold. (I love this expression. It comes from my Saturday morning job in a hardware shop, during my uni days. I was an innocent, just out of school, it was my first adult part time job after being a Coles check out boy. I'd just told a crusty old sea dog the price of a 4 litre tin of paint, and this was his reply,

"Jesus fuck me Christ the cunts are expensive!"

I had never heard anything like it. I was lost for words. I think I managed to mumble,

"They are a little pricey."

I have loved it ever since.)

What the hell happened to the weather? Summer has been switched off. Done. Over. It rained all weekend and the mercury plummeted to levels not felt for months. (Of course, the weather bureau would have to dramatize it, like all news services dramatize things now, the coldest day since, said in that breathy tone and you expect them to say 1962, and they say since before the pandemic, or some such shit, in other words last winter)

I’ve noticed the leaves are starting to fall from the trees, the large plane tree leaves are clogging up the gutters. Of course, it is autumn again. Soon the denuded tree branches will stretch like contoured tentacles towards the grey sky, and we’ll feel the chill to our bones the trees appear to be feeling seemingly naked and exposed.

Another year rolls over, another summer is ticked off. Accelerating, don’t you think. Is time accelerating? It is practically half way through 2021, after all.


No comments: