Thursday, April 22, 2021

Why Does There Have To Be Procrastination And Anxiety When In The End I Can Do Anything To Which I Set My Mind?

When I have a project to do, I always have that moment of doubt. I always have that feeling when I am thinking about doing it when it just seems insurmountable.

Insecurity? Lack of self confidence? Call it what you like. The truth is, I can usually do anything I set my mind to, but it always comes with that feeling of doubt preceding ‘the doing.’

Recently my laundry sink tap just snapped off in my hand. I told Sam I needed to call a plumber. I hesitated while I over-thought the remedial course of action. Do I call a plumber? Did I have to buy a tap first? Would the plumber need to come twice, once to look at the job and then to do the job? I mean, how would he know what tap to bring if he didn’t come to look? Would he charge us two service calls if that was the case? What plumber do I call? Should I go with the plumbers who I have used before, but were not so good the last time they came? How do I find a new plumber that I can trust?

Oh, too hard. (to even call a plumber)

Sam, the clean one amongst us, (read ridiculously so) reminded me when I hadn’t called the plumber, because the laundry sink being out of action for his many floor cleaning chores was decidedly inconvenient.

So, I went and looked at the sink and what was left of the broken tap, you know, to get the information I had to convey to the plumber.

What do I tell him?

I stood gazing at the sink. I thought to myself, people renovate entire houses, surely, I can work out what to tell a tradie? I couldn’t really see how what was left of the tap actually worked. So, I got my grips and turned what was still left attached to the wall. It was like a chrome backing plate with a jagged nub coming out the middle. It turned, so I unscrewed it. I was left with the pipe coming out of the wall. The new tap clearly just screws onto this with a bit of pipe tape. And I have pipe tape somewhere.

Could I replace the tap, I thought? Bunnings must be full of taps. Well, maybe not full, but there must be a section. (I know there is a section)

Sam had thrown away the tap itself. “Well, it was no good to any one, was it?”

I guess not, I thought.

How hard could it be? A wave of anxiety shot through me.

I put Bruno’s harness on him, took the bit I had left and we walked to Bunnings. There were 3 taps to choose from, I bought the one that most looked like the one we had, and Bruno and I walked home.

The tap screwed right on. Just like that. So, 2 hours’ish and $40 later it was fixed. And I had contemplated it for weeks.

A day, or so, a go, Sam bought home one of those silver industrial type stools someone had put out in the street. They are quite popular now, I even have one, a taller one. This one has seen better days, but really, all it needs is a sand and a new spray of silver paint. Can I do that? How long will I have to contemplate it before I do it?

What do I do with the black rubber stoppers on the end of the feet, which I don't want to paint?


No comments: