Thursday, July 25, 2024

More Tests

So today I got the MRI

I guess it was 8.30am when all the doctors came in. Doctor Bailey, who looked like Paul Walker spoke. “Oh yes, I hate MRIs too," he said.

Paul Walker had said he could organise Valium to calm me down for the MRI.

No sooner had the doctors left but Gavin was at my door.

9am. “I’m here to take you to your MRI,” said Gavin. I told Gavin that I thought that the last, and only, MRI that I had was the closest I got to having a panic attack. I'd pictured every part of a Jaguar Mk2, starting from the rear bumper to the shiny grill and then back to the bumper to stop myself panicking.

Gavin was impressed with my Jaguar Mk2 story.

I mentioned to the MRI operator that the doctor had said he could give me valium, but she said that wasn't communicated to her.

She said it was going to take an hour, and when they put the contrasting die hot sauce in there would be 20 minutes to go. 

So, I thought about the places in the world I'd been. London, and Amsterdam, and Los Angeles, and New York, and New Orleans. Then I imagined T-Rex’s coming into the control room and eating the operators and me being forgotten in the big white machine. That was the beginning of the world being destroyed outside and I was forgotten in the machine. 

But, that just kind of made me laugh, you know, what a way to go. And you have to keep very still when you are having MRI imaging. So, then I thought about bulldogs. And then she was putting in the hot sauce and then she said it was done. And it didn’t seem to take long at all.

The MRI was fine.

The MRI operator said, "You didn't need the Valium?"

"No," I said. "I didn't need the Valium."

Anyway, I am home now.


No comments: