Thursday, November 09, 2006

Gossip

Tom and I decided that since Shane has taken up with Mat, supposedly in a three way relationship with Mark W. , Mark W. has looked hurt and seemed pissed off, most of the time. He seems to be doing his own thing a lot.

Tom and I think, it looks like Shane wants to split up with Mark W., but, for whatever reason, isn't going through with it.

Shane and Mark have been happily married for a number of years. They own property together.

Shane confirmed, I think on Friday night, that he was, in fact, modeling his new relationship on mine from a few years ago, just as Perry told me, a few weeks ago. Should I be flattered?

"Well Shane, what can I say?" I couldn't help but smile at him. "That relationship broke up."

Many days and many nights later, as we downed vodka and tonics, last call at the continuation of the wake, after consuming what would be a small pharmacy, collectively, Shane & I got to reminiscing. Shane and I shared a house for a number of years, on the most resent occasion that we have lived together, but we've lived together off and on since we all hit the bars, clubs and brothels, together, as pups. We're good mates. Good friends.

We lay back in the bean bags, in the lounge watching Mark W. and Tom in the kitchen, as Matt played with the music until it was the purest Motown.

"Our years together were pretty special to me," slurred Shane.

"Yeah, me too," I said.

Mark W. and Tom were scheming in the kitchen. I could see it on their faces.

"No, they really were, some of the best times," said Shane.

And they were. I smiled at all the memories. I wondered where I was going wrong now. I'm not sure that living on my own is what it's cracked up to be.

"You never know," said Shane. He smiled nervously. "I may be back there again, if I lose another husband."

Mark W. laughed loudly, his handsome face looked gleeful. (he, of course, couldn't hear us) Tom had his evil face on.

Shane has had and lost three husbands since I've known him. So have I, come to think of it.

Wow, I thought. Tom and I are witches. (Missy came meowing, rubbing at my leg, just as I wrote that last sentence, I kid you not) What comes from knowing significant people in your life, I guess. It's true, we picked it in months.

But do you want to know the shitful thing I did? I was so busy basking in my own brilliance that I never once said to Shane, Are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?

Nah, far too clever for that sort of carry on.


No comments: