Saturday, November 25, 2006

Isabella lands

Isabella was coming in for a business trip, for a week. She'd asked Gavin if she and he could meet, she missed him, she wanted to see her strapping son. Both of Gavin's sisters had been over to England to see their mum.

And if it was possible, with Steven too.

“I want to meet this boy I’ve heard so much about.”

Gavin was nervous, very nervous. He couldn't stand still. He'd asked Steven to wear a suit, which, of course, Steve had declined. "Relax babe, it's just coffee."


Isabella had a late change of schedule and arrived at Gavin's place at 8am.

Gavin stumbled to the door, just with a towel wrapped around him. "Who is it?"

"It's your mother, honey, open the door."

"Maarrrmmm," whined Gavin, like he did when he was five years old, "What time do you call this..."

"Sorry, but I had a last minute meeting change and this was the only time I could see you," said Isabella. "And I needed to see my snookums." Isabella pushed her face into the crook of Gavin's neck and kissed him as she hugged him.

She stepped back and smiled. "I've bought coffee, croissants and danishes," she said triumphantly.

"We're both in bed..."

"You've been working out," said Isabella. She pushed passed him.

Both boys jeans and jocks were strewn across the lounge room floor.

"So do I get to meet mr wonderful, then," said Isabella as she gazed on the discarded clothes.

"He's in bed."

"Well you get him up," said Isabella as she was about to head through the kitchen door. "Um... ah, just out of bed will do nicely." She laughed. "I'll make the tea." She disappeared into the next room.


Steve still looked sleepy as Gavin lead him by the hand into the kitchen. He had on a T-shirt and a pair of Gavin's old track pants. There were plates of food for everyone and pots of tea with cups and saucers and a silver tea strainer.

"Mum, this is Steven," said Gavin. "Steve, this is my mum."

"Well, aren't you a handsome boy," said Isabella. "My son obviously has an eye for the men."

"Very nice to meet you..." Steve hesitated. At that moment he realised Gavin had never mentioned what to call his mother. "Er, Mrs..."

"Oh nonsense!" Isabella exploded into laughter. "It's Isabella. Very nice to meet you Steven."

"It's nice to meet you, too," said Steve. His face broke into his handsome smile, as he held out his hand to shake.

"Oh, goodness me, come here." Isabella took Steve in her arms and hugged him tight. Steve's face looked taken aback looking at Gavin, over her shoulder.

"Mum, stop man-handling my boyfriend."

They broke apart.

"He's gorgeous," said Isabella.

"It's all right," said Steve.

"Can you blame me?" said Isabella. She turned her gaze to Steve. "You look after my beautiful son." She turned and pinched Gavin's cheek.

"Mum!"

She looked back at Steve. "Or you'll have me to answer to." She smiled. "Okay?"

"Mum?" said Gavin.

Steve looked quizzical, but held Isabella's gaze. "Okay."

She smiled as though she was impressed. "Now, sit down and eat. The croissants are ham, the danishes are cherry and the tea is hot. I've got an hour."


No comments: