Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Funeral for a Friend

Jesse's funeral, today. I just decided to go, this morning. Not think about it. Just be a part. People get what they get from funerals, a last chance to tell their part of the story, a chance to say good bye, a chance to have that person "big" in the conversation, maybe, probably, for the last time. An ending.

It doesn't matter that funerals don't mean any thing to me, that's not the point. It's just a gathering. I was networking my friends, I've spent far too long pushing them all away, it was time just to be a part.

It wasn't a religious funeral, people just spoke of their time with Jesse.

But, Jesse's deeply religious parents - who were quite anti gay because god told them to be - were quite touched by the level of friendship and love shown to Jesse by his gay friend's that they were moved, dare I say in their point of view. Maybe. It was a win for us, anyway, whichever way you look at it. A bridge was built. Acceptance, by just being ourselves.

So I decided to help with the show of strength.


No comments: