Friday, March 05, 2004

Walking to Work

As I crossed Albert Street, thinking of the woman who nearly ran me over there a few weeks ago, I heard a toot. I looked around dismissively and then looked back to where I was heading, catching a rainbow coloured sign in the corner of my eye as I did. It was smiling Perry who pulled over and offered me a lift. I actually like walking in the morning - besides the traffic was heavy on Albert Street - so I declined. But we had a lovely chat for a few minutes before we both headed on our way.

The purple and white Petunias are gorgeous at the moment in the Parliament Gardens, growing around the base of the new Jacaranda Trees. They will be beautiful when they grow to maturity, forming an avenue with the existing mature Jacarandas. I can't help wondering why they weren't planted years ago.

As I rounded the corner into Spring Street, looking to see what fancy car was parked in front of the Princess this morning - new Bentley, old Bentley, Mercedes sports - I could see why the traffic was banked back, a Toyota ute had been sandwiched between a tram and the concrete tram stop at the corner of Bourke Street. I winced as I looked to the driver seat, but fortunately nobody was trapped inside. Well, that's the end of that Toyota, I thought.

It was a cool morning thankfully after the last couple of really hot days. I love the cool of the day following hot weather.


No comments: