Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Nice, Huh?

Well, I was vague this morning. I blame it on the cold, it's been freezing, rather than any thing I got up to with Jill or Tom last night. The wind blows right through me, if I haven't braced myself for it, as I turn the corner of my street. A quick inhale, then I'm okay. I don't mind the cold, really, although it can sneak up on you. I don't mind the rain. I don't mind winter. I don't like the dark. It's the shortest day today, by the way. That always makes me feel hope, feel like I can finish contracting and can start to look out upon the world with optimism.

Winter is on its way, Northern Hemisphere. He, he, he.

The tram was full; the kids with their head phones going chick, chick, chick; The Bitch, in her fishnets and fur, (I should take a can of red paint, one day) with her blonde hair pulled torturously tight into a bun. So tight that it makes her look a bit slant-eyed; the mentally-retard Aboriginal who wails and sings. I like him, but the punters look predictably scared - after all it's what we're being taught to feel by conservative politicians; suits, power and blokey; year twelve boys still in their pants bought for year ten; chicks in school uniform gathering in groups.

The tram was so full, nobody had to hang on.

I kind of fell in, lost my footing and just kind of stumbled to the back. People tend to get out of a falling man's path, rather than catch him before he hits the floor. As luck would have it, the woman in that strange single seat at the back, got up to leave, as I careered into the back wall. I literally fell into the seat behind her, as I ricocheted off the advertising board.

I had to put my hand over my mouth to stop myself laughing at what I had just done. Nobody notice, or, reacted.

Sardines, I thought. We're all sardines, on the way to being industry fodder. People stared grimly ahead.

My head was thick, I'd slept late. I'd got ready in record time and left the house without eating my breakfast. I'd sprinted to catch the tram, as it rattled past me in the street. Whoosh! Spiritually, I was still wrapped up in my sheets snug and warm.

Whoosh! I was jammed in this cylinder, with other plain-faced worker ants, now hurtling away from home. I sat back, relaxed, surveyed them all. Counted to ten.

The woman standing in front of me had on a sparkling top, it shimmered on all angles as it curved tightly on her pregnant stomach. It was like shot material catching all the rays of the morning sun, changing colour and glowing, simultaneously. It was fascinating, it captured my attention with delight.

It changed from red to green and then it changed back again, whenever she moved. It was dazzlingly, really.

Another woman over the other side, stood and asked the pregnant woman if she wanted a seat.

No thank you, I'm getting off at the next stop, said the pregnant woman. A rainbow of red and green shimmied across her back, then it danced back again, as she turned to thank the other woman. It looked fantastic.

Then she turned back in my direction and lent towards me and said, It would be a pity if anyone else had bothered to offer me a seat. Her voice became shrill and loud by seat; she was doing a mighty fine impression of Cruella de Vile. I could see the veins in her eyes, as I cowered.

Then she beat into the man next to her, literally, Excuse me! Excuse me! I'm getting off!

So fierce was she, the crowd parted, much more space was suddenly found, as she pummelled the next guy, only having to air-pummel and look threatening, after that, as every body got out of her way.

I was taken aback. I watched her go, I'm sure, with my mouth open.

I guess that would be me, I thought. Fuck! The morning spun. I closed my mouth and eyes.


No comments: