Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The World Cup

I was in the newsagent today, putting my tattslotto on - cross your fingers - and buying cigarettes, when a man came in and asked if they had any of the first addition of the newspaper left.

No, said the nice girl behind the counter. Sweet smile. She turned back to me and said, It's a bit late for that, the first addition came out 3 hours ago.

What's the first addition got that the next addition doesn't have? I asked.

The scores, she said.

The scores? I asked.

For the soccer, her voice rose to a distinct shrill of disbelief.

I put on my best dead-pan voice. Oh, is there soccer on?

WHAT! interjected the man behind me, incredulous. Where the hell have you been hanging out?

The woman next to me laughed and the other guy just stood there with wide eyes, doing his best impression of bunnies in head lights, not really sure what to say.

I laughed to myself.


No comments: