Friday, June 02, 2006

Stood Up

I'm standing up my best mate Jill, I just haven't been able to get it together today. It's been a stress. I'm on holidays. We've known each other since Jill was slim and on the other side of play group, so she'll understand.

Tim and Nicholas sms'd to say they were coming to visit. I blew them off with the excuse of Jill, who I had just blown off too.

Tom emailed.

I need a day to myself. My own space is precious to me recharging. Just me and R and B.

I told Jill that I got the munchies and I pigged out on fresh wholemeal bread, spread thick with butter, spread thick with peanut butter, spread thick with Nutella. And now I feel like I want to throw up.

Which is, actually, pretty close to the truth.

I'm fucked. I've had an open fire burning all day. I'm snug. Unshowered. Unshaven.

So, are we still going to meet up? said Jill.

I... um... yeah... if you want to come over here, I mumbled.

Ah! Chris, you ARE impossible. (not that I'm proud of that) Call you in two hours. Trrryyyy and stay off the dope. Click. Dial tone.

Jill is south of the river. I'm one-eyed north of the river. We're always trying to scam the other one into coming across the water. We both do it. I'm better at it. Brazen is a word that has been used to describe me.

I'm going to watch TV and fall asleep on the couch. I can just feel it. The open fire is burning, I'm not leaving the house.

I hope Jill won't be too cross.

I ignored two calls from her, land-line and mobile, after which I was genuinely asleep. 


No comments: