Thursday, May 10, 2007

Autumn at Last

The leaves have started falling, finally. It seemed weird that we are nearly at the end of autumn and the leaves are still hanging onto the branches, grimly. But, they were starting to blow up Bourke Street in gusts of wind, today. It was kind of lovely, a living carpet of triangular leaves floating above the concrete, swirling one way and whooshing another. They floated across my feet, drifted around my ankles and then were gone again.

I think autumn is my very favourite time of year. Even late. I must go down to Fitzroy Gardens and watch the yellow fall across the sea of green, watch the black branches of the elms start to appear, watch the world fall slowly away to the sparseness of winter.

Big coats, scarves, maybe gloves... er... maybe not. Feel the bite of cold on my face, feel that certain kind of alive that only crisp, clear mornings give.

I love the seasons, I love the change. It's true, I care less for summer now that it is becoming so hot and if it wasn't for the dark, maybe, winter could be my favourite. Although, it is hard to beat the colour of autumn or the awakening that comes with spring. Maybe, it is these in between seasons that I like the best?


1 comment:

Ethan said...

How funny, I wsa thinking "And I thought the seasons were reversed down there--that sounds just like Autumn up here" and then I realized it was MAY!