Friday, May 11, 2007

A Night on the Couch

Manny is going through a weird period. He's not happy. His poisonous, born again Christian mother is on his case, which always depresses him. You're going to hell, you know that don't you, she says. For your wicked lifestyle choice.

How many valium he takes is in direct response to how often he sees his mother.

He said, Thursday night, that he had someone else interested in him and he didn't know what to do. You know, because I can't commit to him. I guess that is supposed to make me sweep him up in my arms and tell him he's mine forever.

You do what you have to do, Man, I said.

I think commitment develops over time. I don't think giving it a title makes it any more real or any more permanent, or any more committed. It is what it is. It is about two people who want to be with each other, who, pretty much, only have eyes for each other. That is the two of us. But, because I won't give it an official label, because I won't call it something, will you marry me, Manny still thinks of it as temporary. I've been with him for 4 years, I've been monogamous with him for about three years. He says it is the longest relationship he's had.

But if you want to be boyfriends... you know Manny, you would have to, actually, step into my life, from time to time. Like tonight, Manny called and asked if I was sober. I'd only had one joint with David, we were watching The Note Book - American schmaltz. David said it was one of his favourite movies. I laughed at it's corniness.

Sure I am Man. Where are you?

I'm just around the corner.

Come over.

If I come over can you drive me home?

I'm watching a movie. I was in track suit pants. I was on the couch with a rug over me and a cushion. I was in my bunny slippers. There was another joint in my sights.

I thought we could go to my place, he said.

Come over here and watch the rest of the movie with me, I'll cuddle you and make you forget you angst and I'll drive you home after.

Can't you come to my place?

Well sure, after the movie.

I just want to get home, replied Manny. Just you and me.

Come over here.

Nah, I'll call you tomorrow.

Okay, see ya.

And he was just around the corner.


David and I smoked what was left of the pot watching Big Brother, the games and Up late. We cooked pesto pasta and ate yogurt. We watched the search for the new Pussycat Doll, against my better judgement, as David has been living being a new pussycat doll all week, since watching the show last Friday. He's been breaking into one of their routines on whim, all week, all over the house. The answer I got to the washing machine problem last weekend was, I bet you wish your girlfriend was hot like me...


No comments: