Friday, May 04, 2007

Love And Old Watches

After my father died, five years back, my mum gave me 2 antique Rolex watches that were his. He hadn't worn them for years and he only had them because the tropical island on which he lived, where he and mum met, was duty free, or tax free. Speaking of love, which I have read about on a few blogs just lately, what a way to meet? My father had another girlfriend and my mother, initially, told him she wasn't interested, but he wooed her under the palm trees by the Pacific Ocean.

The watches had languished in a draw for, well, many years, as mum, dad and the island were back in the days before they were married. So naturally, I had a look on the internet to see if I could see what they were worth. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of parting with them and would, in fact, wear them if I wore watches any longer.

Counting those two, I have seven watches that I don't wear. I had quite a thing for watches once, but some how I got out of the habit of wearing them and, of course, I now use my phone for the time.

I just wanted to see if I could see watches like them, for interest sake.

Ever since, I have been receiving spam emails about antique watches. I do wonder what is the point of them sending me this stuff? I understand it costs them nothing and that I should never respond. But why?

Having said that, the spam emailers don't know that they give me a reason to think of my father, every time they send me a new email. I got three of the stupid things today.

Sometimes, I get those watches out and hold them in my hand and think of my dad, quietly, silently, on my own. I can almost hear the crash of the waves on the beach, I can almost see young lovers under the fronds of the coconut palms.

I remember my dad. I miss him, you know. He was the greatest. There was nothing he couldn't do. I think of my mum and the life she lead, now ticked away like those old watches, lonely and sad and on her own. It breaks my heart.

Is love ultimately about having your heart broken... if you live long enough? The ultimate reward for a long and happy relationship?

 

3 comments:

Zeze said...

HI

I´ve a great photo...

See you

Ethan said...

Actually, the most meaningful gift you can give a great love is to survive them-so that you can spare them the grief you will bear instead.
Thanks for commenting on my blog so I could find you. I love your writing.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have recently launched a {designer handbag | designer watches | designer
jewellery } (choose one which is most appropriate) blog and we are looking
to spread the word and get in contact with similar websites to ours to
promote relevant blogs and websites.

Please email me at chriss714@gmail.com

Thanks
Chris