Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bored in the Afternoon

Rebecca is away in Queensland sunning herself. Or was it some family reunion? I should listen more closely. Consequently, I've been acting like a junior staff member, all week. Ah, fuck it, I say. I’ve had long lunch hours for Monday and Tuesday, went shopping Monday arvo and have been going home early. And getting in late. Good thing the people I work with are so self-focussed, nobody notices, other than Rebecca. Monday, I just said I was sick and had to go, not even bothering to sound or act sick. Nobody checks up on me, nobody notices if I come or go. We are a small department all unto ourselves, Beck and I, and nobody cares what I do. But then again, we have HR women in Sydney who are known to spend more time in David Jones than they do in the office, so maybe it is a company wide affliction.


I love new shirts for work, as the shirts you wear so quickly become your uniform. It makes me feel new and refreshed when I catch a glimpse of my reflection, at work, in a mirror or a window, in a new shirt. Some how, I look different.

I bought three shirts on Monday afternoon. I got bored and wandered out for the afternoon to size up DFO. I was, actually, after a frame for a photo of Manny, but I bought shirts instead.

I bought a pink shirt. I'm not really a pink shirt kind of boy, to much latent poofterisim, probably. I don't think I've had a pink shirt before, not a pink work shirt that is. I wore it with my favourite grey houndstooth pants and my black corduroy suit jacket.

Pale pink is a fresh colour, bright and vibrant. It suits me well, like white does.

I bought a brown shirt with a very fine white stripe. I wore that today with my black pants and black wool suit jacket.


Now, all the boys are wearing pink shirts, it seems. Steve, the handsome Asian boy, was in one today, he looked very sharp. I wanted to look him in the eye and adjust his tie (not that it needed adjusting) and run my hands down his chest, he looked so good. My fingers twitched when he spoke to me. The pink with his dark features was very suave - black pants, black shoes, just his beige socks ruined the look.


No comments: