Thursday, September 16, 2021

Bruno's Been Sick

Bruno has been sick. It started yesterday, or maybe the previous evening.

First of all, it sounded like he had something caught in his throat, which he couldn't clear. We had just fed him drumsticks and wondered if that was the problem, which was concerning. We've always fed him drumsticks, though, so it wasn't like it was anything new.

So, my day off, time to take him to the vet. I was going to start cleaning up the collapsed creeper, but what can you do? The creeper would have to wait.

I called my vet to book Bruno in, however, my vet is booked out until mid October. Mid October? What? Apparently, there is a state wide shortage of vets. They've all gone to their Portsea beach houses to wait out the pandemic.

There is another vet that I go to if I can't go to my vet, (I don't go to the local vet as they tend to charge double the vet I go to, which is a 20 to 30 minute drive. Dogs first, carbon footprint second) so this morning I headed to my alternative vet, (also a 20 to 30 minute drive). It doesn't take bookings, it sees everyone on a first come first serve basis from 9am. So, I drove for half an hour and got there at 9am.

The covid procedure was to call from the car park upon arrival, so that is what I did.

The receptionist sounded stressed out, she said would put me on the list.  "I have to warn you, there is something like a one and a half to two hour wait. And it is $180, plus any medication."

“A 2 hour wait?”

“Yes, it has been crazy here. We will call you when we are ready for you.”

Two hour wait, I thought. I got Bruno out of the car for a wee. Then I settled back into my car seat, somewhat unwillingly, for the wait.

$180? Two hours in the car. Well, at least the sun was shining.

$180? Even my local vet that seems to be able to out charge anyone wouldn't be charging that much, I was sure.

So, I called my local vet and the cheery, relaxed voice told me they were taking appointments.

"Oh, great."

"I could fit you in today."

"What time would that be?"

"I have an appointment at 3pm."

“And how much is it?”

“$89.00.”

I left for home. Well, that was a success, I thought, as I started my 30 minutes drive home.

Mid morning, I was home again. Just time to go for my hours walk.

I ordered some fertiliser from Bunnings on a click and collect basis. My understanding of the instructions was make the order one day and pick them up the next day after 9am. I ordered them on Saturday, and hadn't heard until I got back from my walk, time to pick it up. So, I was just going to drive straight down after my walk and pick it up. 

Sam couldn't believe I was driving, but I reassured him I was as I just wanted to be quick. "Well, if you are going to drive, we can go shopping at the same time."

So, then it was shopping. Grrr!

And then lunch.

I walked to the vet at 3pm. And I was seen immediately. And for half the cost of what it was going to be this morning.

I got home at 4pm. And finally, it was time to get stuck into the collapsed creeper. I walked out and looked at it, and considered how I was going to approach it. And sighed. "Oh, fuck it," I said out loud. And I headed inside and lay on the couch.

Some days you win, some days you lose, and some days you chase your tail looking for a better deal. Life, hey?


No comments: