Friday, January 16, 2009

Doubt

The legs getting better, thanks. I couldn't see a doctor and thought I might have to take myself off to the hospital, but really, what are they going to do anyway? In the sense, that I can walk today, where I couldn't yesterday. Badly, but I can walk. I even drove.

David and I went to see Doubt at the Nova. I'm not sure that I got it. I left feeling it was about homophobia; that a possibly gay priest took a young, gay boy under his wing for noble reasons and the church establishment wasn't going to have it? That probably wasn't it, if you get a non-gay perspective.
It was great to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep go one another, though. Phillip Seymour Hoffman raged and Meryl Streep exploded in response, in their confrontational scene. I find both actors a joy to watch.
It was beautifully shot, lovely cinematography, gorgeous period settings, great cars. The nuns looked like a group of bats while the priests seemed like a boy's club.

But what was it about? Tradition meets the future? Changing times and the power struggle that ensues? An admission that pedophilia has been known in the church for longer than the latest scandals? That priests have always been gay, you know, thanks to celibacy? I'm not sure.

I guess I enjoyed it? No, I did like it, I'd have to say. It held my attention all the way through, but that could have been because of the fine actors, as much as anything.

1 comment:

Bold oy! said...

Thanks for your comment.

I hope the leg will heal fast and that the new year will bring you many good things - a boyfriend maybe?