Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tantrums and Withdrawal

David has incredible highs and devastating lows. Earlier in the week he was going through a blue patch - crying, depression, wallowing, even if I do say it. The problem was that Shane and I, both normally very laid back, were trying to quit smoking and we had no patience.

"Well, get into bed and stay there," I said. "It'll pass, you know it will."

"Take a valium," said Shane. "Now! Take one now! Don't put it off. If you don't have any, I do."

Truthfully, that was about all the sympathy he got.

I ask him if this was the way he got attention as a child, and he stopped and took it in. He repeated it a day later, as if he'd been thinking about what I'd said since I asked him. David is on the high end of intelligent.

David is, shall we say, on the high end of self focused. Spoilt Greek boy, although he'd deny it. His mother wiped his arse until he was 10 years old, apparently. Sometimes, it shows.

I was just thinking out loud as to what the root of his monthly, although not quite as frequent lately, blue period is. Shane and I let him get away with very little.

 

No comments: