Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Only Down The Road

Fuck me, it's hot today. Blistering, scorching sun beating down. Who needs it when there isn't a beach in sight.


I went for dinner at two buddies place, last night. I was handed a gin and tonic when I got there, which was quickly refilled. Then it was wine with dinner.

"Oh no, not for me," I said. "I've got to drive."

"Oh don't worry about that," said S.

"You can take the back streets," said T.

They both smiled. I was momentarily, taken back.

So, I said yes to the wine, thinking I didn't need to drink it anyway. But, is that the general attitude amongst people to drink driving?

Mark W. had, pretty much, the same attitude, a few weeks ago. "It's only down the road, so I'll be all right."

I drank two gin and tonics and a glass of red wine over 3 1/2 hours. I figured that was okay, even if I did feel a little light headed when I got into the car. I didn't mix the gin and tonics, I thought, as I slipped along Brunswick Street under, what seemed, awfully bright lights.

I am a cheap drunk, though.


No comments: