Monday, October 17, 2022

A Peaceful Way To Live

I scanned a whole bunch of old family slides, listening to Joni Mitchell and Sunday slipped away gently. It was something crossed off my 10 year list. It is the last of them, and then they are all done. It is not something I can do when Sam is around, as it irritates him, he just can't see the point.

"Are you ever going to look at them?"

"Well, yes..."

"How often?"

"No.It's preservation."

"When was the last time you looked at them?"

"I have never looked at some of them?"

"So, tell me again why you are doing this?

"Then they are saved..."

"Really."

"Saved for whoever wants to look at them..."

"But you're not really going to look at them?"

"For the future generations to be able to look back at who came before them."

"Seriously, you think the kids of the future will want to look back at some old pictures, the people in which they never knew?"

"Yes."

Sam would then laugh that laugh. That laugh that encapsulates 'you are kidding yourself' so succinctly.


I ate roast port and BBQ leftovers with rice and some sauce Sam made for dinner. I avoided the news, but I switched on The Project while I ate, and even that bought the world's misery flooding into my lounge room. I had to laugh, they promised some exciting new reality TV show, Traitors, was it, oh fucken spoil us with more shit, just before I turned it off and shut them all out of my life again.

Bruno and I went back to Joni Mitchell and scanning the slides, and my world was peaceful again.


No comments: