Saturday, October 15, 2022

Wave Sam Goodbye

Sam left for overseas at midnight, just gone, to go visit his family who he hasn't see since before Covid. Bruno and I drove him to the airport. It rained.

It seems weird here without him here. You imagine what being home alone is, the reality is different, in its realness.

And I have always been good on my own, in fact, on many occasions I prefer it to people. People are so peopley.

I guess it has been a while since I have been on my own, though.

I was in the kitchen and the house was really quiet, and I got to thinking about Sam, and I got to thinking about MH370 – oh, I don't know why – and thought about that wife of that guy who was lost on that plane and how she is always pushing for more to be done. And I thought about if that happened to Sam and my eyes welled up and a tear rolled down my cheek before I even knew about it... but then my phone rang and Sam was Face Timing me, "Have you fed the Bruno yet? Have you taken him for a walk? Have you thought about what you need to get from the super market? Do you have a plan?" And I snapped out of it, and I smiled at Sam's handsome face. And he didn't even notice the tears, I guess, because he wasn't expecting them.

So, it's just me and Bruno for 3 weeks. And, of course, Charlie, but I don't see much of him between his study and his work, even when Sam is here.

And just as I write that, Milo touches me with his paw from under the coffee table, as if to say "me too," and then climbs into my lap. He is so soft and feels so delicate after dealing with the heft of Bruno.

As soon as Bruno sees Milo in my lap he will chase him away. We still haven't been able to stop him. Bruno is asleep on the couch next to us. I've just fed him so his tummy is full and he'll be contented, at least for now, to work on his 20 hours sleep.

It's weird, though, because during the day they cohabitate just fine, Milo even cleans Bruno's face when he is sleeping. It seems to be when the sun goes down that Bruno gets jealous. So, Milo doesn't get to cuddle up with everyone at night like he used to before Bruno came along.

Buddy and Milo used to curl up together in the sun spots on the carpet of the sun coming in through the window and sleep.


No comments: