Friday, January 11, 2013

All Go Today

It is supposed to be 39 degrees with the end of the world imminent, when we are all going to burn. The country side was going to be potentially reduced to ash, the news reports told us.

My mate Jill, since she has finished work for a time, has decided that I need to finish all the things I never finished on my house, so she is arriving today with a builder.

I have a bed room with an en suit that nobody uses and the en suit was never really finished off properly. This is mainly because there is a problem with the sink that needs to be rectified. I realised as we were doing it that the sink was wrong, so the whole thing stopped and the tiling never got completely finished. I've just let it go over the years, as you do. Jill thinks that is a crime against architecture, or my soul, or good house keeping and that it must be rectified. Immediately.

Mark and Luke are also arriving today, sometime in the afternoon. They'll be pleased with the 39 degrees, especially.
Anthony sent me a ten point "to do" list.

Jill positively bristled on the other end of the phone when I told her that the builder and Guido (one of the 10 points, I can't remember which) would be arriving around about the same time.

I did laugh.

"He doesn't wear a sign, you know. Special deal..."
"Well," her voice returning to some where around normal, "I guess not."
"And I am assuming that the builder will be looking at the bathroom and not sitting in the lounge room drinking tea?"
"Well, no," said Jill.
"So, I don't see it as a real problem."
"Okay then. I suppose."
Not to sound completely defeated, she continued. "So are you excited to be getting the finishing touches done after all this time?" (Ed note - counting on both hands, how many years?... yes, I know, slack Christian. I just put it off and put it off and some how it is now too many years later to count... a bit like life, really)
"Um... er... I see it as spending money on something that nobody is going to use."
"Oh, for goodness sake," said Jill. "Don't you want it to be finished?"
Shrug.

I have to go and pick up my car from the mechanic, at some stage. I am still sneezing and snuffling and coughing... nearly gone, but not. Damn it! I'm still sniffling.

Yay for me.

No comments: