Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Off to My Cave

Around 6pm, I decided to go to my room to watch TV, since all of “my crew” have now left me. Change positions. Get more comfortable. Relax. Old habits. It just seemed like a nice idea, I love my room, in it I feel safe from everyone. Sam was sleeping at his place tonight, as his house is air conditioned. Chicken! Just as I was packing up my stuff, I heard the front door open and close. 5 minutes to late, I thought, not that I was packing up and heading up stairs for that reason, but, you know...

Shane came into the kitchen just as I was heading upstairs and made a big announcement about his last day.

“So, how do you feel?” I had no option but to ask.

“Oh surreal and frightening and very strange,” Shane gushed about himself. Big exhale. Big eyes. “I’m not sure how I feel.”

I turned and went upstairs. Well, it will take a few days, longer possibly, I thought. Maybe, much longer.

I thought of Mark at lunch a few days ago. “You know what,” said Mark. “That’s it, Shane just isn’t that bright, now is he.”

A bit later, I thought I should go and prepare my beef salad for dinner, so I headed downstairs. The TV was on and I half expected that Shane and Tulli would be sharing a glass of champagne in a self-serving show of, well, themselves really. What else would it be? But while the TV was on, there was no one in the lounge room. Yay! I flicked on Big Bang Theory and quickly got to making my meal.

I guessed they were out celebrating this increment of relocating with their friends. I hoped so anyway.

Before I had finished preparing dinner, I heard the front door open and close. Shane came in with shopping alone, no sign of Tulli. Tulli, the whore, was no doubt on a job. (I wonder how life in London will pan out living on a prostitute’s wages?) I had commandeered the kitchen bench pretty much so he sat down and watched Big Bang Theory, with that I-am-just-waiting-for-you-to-finish-and-get-out-of-the-way-so-it-can-become-about-me-again attitude that Shane has. If he doesn’t push in completely, he gets that nervous angst and hovers with twitching fingers, as if to say, um, er, me, me, me. I’ll, uncustomarily, wait then, um, I guess. Um, er, me, me, me.

He didn’t talk much. I was finished in no time and headed upstairs again.

Let’s see how Shane copes now with no income and no car, no cleaner, no one to cover the bills which he is completely hopeless at paying and, guessing, no money. He lives week to week when he is, actually, being paid, so unless he has a hidden account full of savings, which he may well have by one means or another, (termination pay out) otherwise it is going to be a bitter tail end of winter in old London Town.

Apparently, they have one weeks worth of accommodation secured. “After that, we have to do the gay share thing,” said Shane.

Sam rang a bit later. He said that it proved that I didn’t love Buddy if he was outside on his own and I was upstairs. I went and got Buddy while Sam was still on Skype and we both lay on the bed gazing at Sam.


No comments: