Saturday, January 19, 2013

Gay Marriage

I guess my piece about David and Shane makes me look as though I am anti gay marriage. And while I am a little perplexed by the strong desire for  gay marriage, for philosophical reasons, (why do we want to copy straight people? Are we so uncomfortable in our own gay skin that we want to emulate everything straight? Other than gay divorce, what is gay marriage really going to give us?) it comes down to the very basic idea that everyone should be treated equally. If people want to get married, they should be allowed to, no matter who they are. The institution of marriage should be open to everyone. I have never heard a convincing argument as to why gay people shouldn't get married, because, of course, there isn't a convincing argument.

But what of marriage? You know, marriage has been so sucessful for straight people, after all. Is it a bold step backwards for gays to get married? Maybe it is? Maybe it isn't?

I understand that some/most gays want to get married to obtain the same legal rights marriage affords everyone else in society, and fare enough. So then does that make it a technical issue?

I can see some gay people who want to change the religious institutions, which is problematic. Should churches be forced to perform gay weddings? I think not. Gay people wouldn't want to be forced to comply with religious doctrine for any reason, now would they?

I am just giving my view. I'm not trying to persuade anybody to think anything at all, you must think what you feel is right and true, I am just telling you what I think.

Get married if you want to, don't get married if you don't want, but everybody should be treated equally.

No comments: