Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Brother In Need

Tom called me at 9am to say it was no longer a medical emergency, as dear Perry had come to the rescue by delivering a nice big bud to him, first thing this morning. Guido was about to deliver to me and Tom asked if I could still deliver the dope, alone, before 11am. It’s now 09.47. I’d better get my skates on.

Tom seemed okay. He said he is having trouble differentiating his dreams from reality, as his dreams have been so vivid and real. Tom had thought that his chemo was at 11am, hence the need for me to take dope to him first thing. Then he thought it was changed to 8am, so Tom called Perry at 6am announcing a dope emergency! Perry, being the lovely, lovely man that we have come to love and cherish, was standing next to Tom’s bed at 6.30am, with a smile, saying, “Here’s your dope luv. Can’t have a sister – as Tom would put it – in need.”

I got to Tom’s by 10am, at which time, or shortly after, Tom was reassured by the sexy nurse David – what that boy had stuffed in his trousers was in desperate need of investigation – that Tom was, in fact, not having chemo until tomorrow.

Damn those dreams, said Tom. They are so real and so convincing.

So, I was recruited as delivery boy to return the 6am emergency dope back to Wesley, which I did first on my way home, before I went shopping for new bed linen.

Perry, Kim and Kim’s John were out the front of P. Street milling around Perry’s work car.

I had lunch with Perry in Victoria Street, riding in the new Lexus. It was nice, but bland. I guess it was nice. It's the big, lux model with all the gadgets, but really quite, oh, um, beige.

I got home at 3pm.

Mark, Luke and Sebastian were at home when I got there. I wanted to buy new bed linen.

Mark said to Sebastian, Are you going to go shopping with Christian? He means well, but sometimes it is better if I organise my own down time. But how sexy did Sebastian look in aviator sunglasses and long, woollen coat? Waiting for, smiling at, me.

We watched television and talked.

Sebastian went out to the bars in Brunswick Street looking for some fun. Read girls.

We watched television.

The minute I switched off the bed-side light, I heard the key turn in the front door lock and within minutes, Josh and Sebastian must have come home.

Good timing, as I like to say.

 

No comments: