Monday, July 18, 2005

Lamb Roast

Lovely old, scrummy old, joyously anticipated, first Monday of holidays. Gotta LOVE it!

Of course, I was awake at 7am rolled up gorgeously in my doona, just waiting for the footsteps of life to walk out the front door, so the house is mine for the morning. Eventually, drifting and waking, drifting and waking, getting out of bed just after 9am. Computer on, coffee ground, big shit, joint rolled, sitting in front of my computer screen. My favourite place to be.

I would so write in the mornings, if I could be a writer full time. All over by early afternoon, ready for exercise and lunch and getting out of the house. I can see it now, the routine is already just waiting there for me to slot right into it.

Even last night, as I lay on the couch not a shirt ironing care in the world to be had, I was more relaxed, more able to relax without the spectre of Monday morning looming large over me. It was lovely to feel. A hint of my life to come. Not yet, not just yet, I know. Be patient. But soon. Please. Soon.

My feet are tingling, the joint is working just fine.

Missy’s lying out stretched on the lounge room floor. The house is quiet.

Come on tattslotto, complete the picture. Great Aunt Tatiana, it’s time to die.

And then young Gale appeared. Of course, and I should have known that I wasn’t going to get away with my misbehaviour – even misbehaviour beyond my scanty morals – he wanted to say his piece. He was still wanting an apology for said bad behaviour. Of course, he’d want to hear the actual word. The original queen of all that is fair and equitable. Drip, drip, drip. Wha, wha, wha. Until I had to say the damn word just to preserve my own sanity. S…s…s…o…oorry. Such a powerful word, the true extent of its power, I’m afraid, is always going to remain somewhat of a mystery to me.

SMS. 10.59. Morning Miss. I’m on holidays! I think it’s finally becoming clear. 5 pills miss! Josh’s cross ‘cause I ate one of his – Christian

SMS. 11.39. Miss!!!!! Last night I presume? Was it a good one? – Tom

SMS. 11.44. Friday night. I proved to be untrustworthy. (You’d have been proud) He, he, he. W/end poof! Gone! I was ok until I had that damn joint – Christian

SMS. 11.45. Tell it to the judge baby. How much fun was it? – Tom

SMS. 11.51. So, so. Young Gale did nothing but whinge, like a demented budgie! Didn’t like the company. Firmly in the Aby corner, that one – Christian

SMS. 13.46. And u miss? What of u? – Christian

Tom called me to say that he’d just burnt his hand under the boiling hot water in the kitchen, promptly breaking down and falling to pieces in the process – poor baby, it’s tough what he’s doing. I’d never make it, not made of strong enough stuff – until he was collected and taken back to his room by a kind nurse.

Ab arrived just as I called him back on the land line, so I was able to ring off at that point. Tom’s parting shot was to say that my sms’ about Mr Gale were poisonous. Good to see.

And then he was gone.


Subject: Leg of lamb and baked veggies


Hi

Having lamb and vegies tonight... would u like some too!! – there will be heaps! – I’m turning into a grandmother

Tim


Now, I have to be at my mother’s by four. Bugger. I must remember not to smoke any more joints.

SMS. 18.48. How r u this week luv? – Rachel

The play was god-awful. Shakespeare, King Lear. I have never been able to follow it. Mum fell asleep for most of the first half. By interval, I didn’t know if I could sit through any more. I slipped out for a cigarette.

SMS. 20.07. (Rachel) I’m good. At a play with me dear old mum – Christian

Upon my return, I said to mum, I’m bored to tears, do you want to go?

Yes, dear, she said, as she got her bag and stood up. She’s very compliant, does what I tell her.

So we went home and she cooked me dinner.

SMS. 21.02. After Oz phone date Christian? If we are still coherent? Will call ya orange landline and check – Tom

I was home in time for Big Brother uncut. Tim and Beau were up and Josh arrived home later with David the Calabrian 37 year old hairdresser. Beau and Tim disappeared off to bed and then Josh and David did the same.

I started to watch a German gay film, which was quite charming. Tom called to say he was having a marijuana emergency, in other words he was out. Guido had been summoned and Tom was waiting for his reply. I was to collect it first thing in the morning and take it to him. No deviations.

Josh appeared at my door, looking very pleased with himself, after which I went downstairs and chatted to him for a while.

I then went to bed and read Vanity Fierce until 3am. 


No comments: