Tuesday, July 05, 2005

East. Room 28 to Africa - it's All Heating Up

I got up at 7am. Up. Awake. And on my feet. It was a miracle. It was cold. I got back into bed just to warm up. Just for second. Something on the radio was interesting. Brrrr!

I woke up again at 8am. Not as bad as a few work mornings last week, but not great.

SMS. 8.38. (Tom) Morning miss. I’m feeling human again. And you? – Christian


Subject: paintings


Mr friendly…

Leah


Subject: paintings


Hi Christian

how's things?

remember me? the Mary that looked after Leah at Arnho...

hope u are well...

if you see Tom d B - tell him to put that joint OUT and get back to sorting out that bone marrow transplant!

take care!

Brad(y)

x


Subject: morning


Hi Brad

Sure I remember you Mary. I never did get to meet you though at Leah's fortieth, which was a shame. I meant to, but one thing and another... I think it was mostly beer.

Tom is in hospital, as I type, having chemo and he will heave his bone marrow transplant on Friday, I think.

I had a bit of a big weekend and never did manage to get to see him over the weekend, so I guess he's cross with me by now. I must go see him tonight and I'll be sure to pass on your message.

Hope all is well with you.

Christian


Sunny Tuesday Morning


And how are you my lovely?

Christian


Sunny Tuesday Morning


Supa doper xx

I am off to UK/Afreeka on the 21st July- so not long now ……….

Leah


Sunny Tuesday Morning


Dysentery in Africa. I have a really bad feeling about this.

Christian


Sunny Tuesday Morning


Don’t be so god damn negative. I will be gorilla in the mist’ing and it will be wondrous………

Leah


Sunny Tuesday Morning


Nah, you'll be flowing from both ends, behind a bush in the blinding sun!

Christian


SMS. 13.35. 41 degrees temp and shit myself twice. Once in theatre. Ugh! – Tom

SMS. 13.39. What floor r u on? I’ll be in tonight, if u r up to it? If I don’t have to work late – Christian

SMS. 13.57. 7 East. Room 28 – Tom


Subject: Friday Night


Hi Christian...

Do you remember Silvia Romero? I’m going out with her and Laura and Beau on Friday night for dinner at Tandori times..... Would u mind if we have a few drinks at home after? Your welcome to join us if you like

Tim


Subject: Friday Night


No I don't mind.

Christian


Subject: Friday Night


Cool Thanks

Tim


SMS. 15.45. (Tom) Will this crap month ever end? I guess you’ll laugh @ that? Do u want me to bring you anything to make up 4 my poor show thus far – Christian

Finally! We finished the year. Not before getting everybody involved. I’m not sure if that looks good for us, or not?

As I walked out of my floor, I was reading a text from Rachel.

SMS. 16.29. We need 2 do dinner… how about next Tuesday? – Rachel

Lena A. was near the lift directing the tradesmen. I repeated Rachel’s dinner invite. Leena said she’d like to come, as if she really did want to go. Lena, Rachel and I are all old friends from years ago.

SMS. 17.32. Just saw Lena A. on my way out, she says she wants to come too – Christian

SMS. 17.43. That would b fun! – Rachel

I rang Manny from the corner of Bourke and Elizabeth Streets and sang him happy birthday.

SMS. 17.59. Just let me get over the next few days & then I’ll be able to think – Christian

I bought mum underwear for her birthday, on the way home, under Gill’s guidance. Did the cashier give me a second look when she saw that it was all women’s underwear I had in my hands. Not sure.

Could be my paranoia.

Mum’s off to Kyneton tonight.

I’m off to visit Tom and to pick up Fred.

Mark and Luke were home when I got home.

Manny called and thanked me for the birthday wish.

We went to Ninos the café just around the corner. The wog-boy serving was cute. I would have looked at his todger.

I left Mark and Luke to watch Big Brother, at home.


SMS. 19.44. I have only just now ceased being poked and prodded from midnight! You’re fine Christian no black marks xxxx – Tom

SMS. 19.47. I’m on my way – Christian


I accelerated up Punt Road in the traffic. There was a sea of red tail-lights in front of me. The night air was slick and glowed in its illumination.

Tom looked uncomfortable. Groggy. And really just wanting peace. He told me how he shivered uncontrollably on a Perspex bed, as he had radiation. I didn’t stay long. He just wanted to fade out.

I collected Fred from mum’s and came home.

I’ve been smoking joints with Ben, he’s an enthusiast pot smoker, shall we say.

I typed up my sms’.


Subject: dinner


Rachel

Let me get through this week and I’ll think about dinner. But next week sometime is probably cool. Maybe. I’m fucked! Beam me up Scotty! I’m over it! I want to go to my cave and not come out until spring.

As I walked out of my office, I was reading your text. Lena A. was by the lifts directing workman. I looked up and said, A dinner invitation from Rachel Le Vine. She looked at me and said something – my lift arrived instantly and I was heading off toward it – that really sounded to me that she would have liked to come. It could have just been me, admittedly, distracted thinking about what I had to do. But that was the sense I got.

How was Adelaide?

What did someone say today, it could have been me, actually?

“He is a real-estate agent from Adelaide, after all.”

Everybody in the room murmured in agreement, realisation. Maybe a couple even shuddered.

Christian


Subject: Hello my sweet


Jill

Yes. Lunch? We’ll re-schedule.

I’m a bad man. I ditched you last weekend for a night of drugs. There you go. Now you know.

I’m fucked! Beam me up Scotty! I’m over it! I want to go to my cave and not come out until spring. I just had to get out and be mindless.

I tell you, running an EOY with a new system that barely works at the best of times, with a help desk who quotes fixes at me that even I know don’t work, it’s hard going. The best help desk reply I go today was, I don’t know.

So, I threatened to resign and then I demanded holidays. I’ve asked from next Monday, as my mate from Berlin is arriving then, but I think they are going to say the week after.

So if not before, we’ll go out for a mid week lunch. What do you reckon about that?

Christian


Subject: Live Aid


Lauri

You know, I didn’t even know it was on. Live Aid, that is. Pity that I was so out of it from the night before, your sms may have meant more to me. I remember thinking when I read it, I don’t understand. Bleary eye-sight. Could hardly focus on the text. Doof, doof, doof. I was at the Market, of all places. Bugger!

How are you?

Christian


I smoked more pot and typed. Putting off ironing a shirt and going to bed. My favourite time of the day, when I switch off the light and I’m comfortable in my bed, waiting for sleep to wash over me. I love that time. It's a time that I think of all sorts of things, as my body relaxes and gets heavier and then shuts down. I love my bed. I love sleeping. I will never understand the people who can't sleep.


Subject: Dinner?


You are interrupting me looking at photos of my new baby at staffordshire.com.au he he he he!! Fuck off .......

Rachel


Subject: Dinner?


Get with the programme... you should be able to think of several things at once... oh hang on, I forgot…you're male. I forgive you. Dinner next tues with or without A. (sp?) is on my agenda...!

Rachel

PS HOw bad could this week be? Should we compare schedules? Mine includes vomit??? do I win without competition?



SMS. 23.35. U know, Lena A & Andre knew each other in a previous life… maybe we should get them together…what a fantasy! Ni night xx – Rachel

SMS. 23.41. Is Andre coming? (meant in the nicest possible way) – Christian


Subject: Dinner?


I wish I’d stood you up for a night of drugs and had gone to lunch with La Wilson, instead, if that’s your attitude!

Christian


Subject: Dinner?


As you quite rightly said, I’m a boy, I’m not expected to. Which Tuesday? Isn’t today Tuesday?

Christian


I’m smashed and I still have to iron a shirt. I wanted to be in bed by midnight. I’ve got a minute.


SMS. 01.04. Have you got an email address yet? – Christian

SMS. 01.05. templetonshelly@yahoo.com – Shel

SMS. 01.08. Well, about fucking time – Christian

SMS. 01.08. Ditto! Have 2 go 2 net café 2 access! x – Shel

SMS. 01.11. Good! – Christian

SMS. 01.12. I am! – Shel

SMS. 01.13. Bad! Life’s too short – Christian

SMS. 01.14. Advice taken! – Shel


No comments: