Sunday, July 10, 2005

My Whole Perception Did a Whirl

I was awake at 10am with the sense of a free and easy day, in front of me. Another day, following taking d's, during which the gently come-down could be continued, competed, whatever, it stretched out in front of me. I smoked my first j, lazily, with my first coffee.

The house was quiet and I was happily filling in the gaps in my life. My muesli was soaking and another coffee was foremost in my mind. I let my head fall back without a care, as I listened to the coffee pot make its first faint whisper of its immanent, guttural grumble.

... I remembered I had to go to work, today. It was a few minutes off midday. “Shit!” My whole perception did a whirl. My reality clunked and cracked over to another page, a far more foreign, unappealing one. “Nooooooooo!”

The shit that had been resting docilely against my ring, suddenly, urgently, wanted to come out. My head spun. “Fuck!”

I got pains in my abdomen.

I switched the coffee pot off and raced to the toilet.

Ab just called, but my phone was upstairs, to say that she couldn’t believe that I hadn’t called her immediately on the news of, we shall call it, Establishment X closing down. (Est X was the party palace in the neighbourhood, the departing, wee hour, guests leaving, from which, after closing time, used to shout, and yahoo, in the street, as they made their way to their cars. Ab is a very light sleeper and it used to be a problem to her. I, of course, can sleep on a rock in a rain storm.) Jacob had told her. Wow!

Did I want to go over and watch Big Brother with Jacob, and her, this evening?

But, my whole focus had suddenly changed, no longer was it going to be a day off to do as I pleased. Nothing mattered, but now, suddenly, it did. I had to have a shower and leave. I had to eat muesli and quaff more coffee, as I got my shit together. I was practically late already.

“It’s Sunday! This is ridiculous!”

My brain clunked on the wings of the THC shadow-self.

I called Ab to tell her that I had fielded the news of Est X closing down out to Tom, as he seemed to take such perverse please in the thought of telling her… It may, as yet, turn out to be a hollow victory if the original owner N. is the purchaser.

And now I have to go to work. I’ll drive so that I can go straight to Ab’s, if I so decide later in the day.

Now, I’ve just got to sober up a little. Shower, muesli and coffee should do the trick.

Boo-hoo! I haven’t even got time for a languorous pull.


As I turned into William Street I was confronted with lots of people in red, white and black. St Kilda is playing who at Telstra Dome?

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” I wailed.

It took me 1 ¼ hours to get to work and then I parked in a high-rise car park.

SMS. 14.01. (Tom) Fucken football! Can’t park anywhere! Bogans in scarves, red, white and black. Down with the Saints! – Christian

Cute Nick was at work too. Ahhhh, he’s sooooo handsome. He came in a couple of times for a chat and to ask me questions. You know, be cute, pretty up the place. Spread his brand of, shall we say, good cheer.

I’m sure, the last time he came in, I heard him say, If I got my Greek-boy cock out would you chew on my foreskin and suck me until I blew in your mouth?

I shook my head and said, as sweetly as I could, “Pardon?”

“I’m going down to the shop, would you like me to get you something?” Customary Nick smile.

The city was illuminated shiny and black when I came out. Everybody had gone. I actually love that time in the office when I’m working late, when the lights have gone on to timer and the first sequence trips and all of a sudden all of the internal lights go off. The illumination of our great city sparkles to its full glory. It’s like being outside looking in, suddenly. Magically. I didn’t mean to work until dark, I didn’t notice the time go.

I got to Ab’s at 19.25. Jacob was there too. Ab’s flat is nice. The lounge room is a very nice space, but her penchant for seventies décor leaves me cold. I’m Edwardian through, or ultra modern, if I had to. None of these fanciful, in between, phases for me. She has a balcony with ocean views and fresh, sea air; I could smell the crispness of the breeze. I could taste the salt on my lips. It would be gorgeous to have that.

SMS. 21.51. Le Tour de France finishes in Moulhouse 2nite where we went 2 the Schlumph (sp?) museum. Big Sigh! – Rachel

SMS. 21.58. Filthy French. Big spit! – Christian

I was home by 22.00.


No comments: