Saturday, November 30, 2013

Shopping at the Market

It was a gorgeous, sunny day in Melbourne today. It was just lovely, really.

We ate Vietnamese in High Street at Bang Bang. We parked in a 1/4 hour car park that had half an hour to go before restrictions finished for the day. The sun was bright. I watched for parking officers while I ate my broken rice.

We went shopping at Preston Market. We parked in High Street. There was suddenly a car park, so we pulled in. Some old guy in a Magna lurched out into the traffic and caused a traffic jam, still, it was good he wasn't driving backwards through a shop window, hey. Truthfully, at the moment we parked I wasn't at all sure how far we were from the market. I had an idea, but wasn't sure. I knew one thing, however far it was, it was better than doing the Preston Market cark park madness. Round and round you go.

There was a caravan of Middle Eastern food we wanted to try, but we were full from the Vietnamese. The Middle Eastern boy serving was cute, if chubby. I wondered if Middle Eastern boys have fat dicks? It was a very nice white clean food caravan though.

There was a gorgeous, smiley Asian boy selling the pork. There was a cute wog boy selling the beef. There was a handsome Aussie boy selling fish.

Then I suddenly wanted bananas, I'm not sure why. (none of those boys were selling sausages that I could see, but each one of them would have had nice sausages, I am sure)

We bought aloe vera juice, wasabi peas and jack fruit. We bought mangoes and cabbage and bok choi. 

"Threeeeee for a dolllaaaar!"

"Each booxx twwwooo doollaaars!"

The fruit and vegi call, you have to have a particular voice for it, I am sure. I like it.

I bought bananas at $1.20 a kilo. I bought water mellon and oranges too. Yum.

I love the hustle and bustle of the market. I like the hubbub, I like the noise. The woman covered head to toe in black hijab. The old wog men sitting at tables sipping coffee and chatting, like they once did in Fitzroy. The jostling. The couples. The students. The people munching on bags of take away, sitting and eating pizza squares. I keep saying we need to get one of those wheelie jeeps, rather than have the multitude of bag cutting into the skin on our fingers, but I never have bought a trolley.

The main road car park was a short walk back to the  car with our bags, under the blue, blue sky.

We bought fish for dinner, but we forgot the lemon, damn, which we remembered just as we got back to the car. Grrr!

No comments: