Thursday, April 10, 2014

Sorry

Sorry. So many people now a days say sorry. Automatically, for any infraction, or perceived infraction.  You know, when you walk through a door, when they step out onto the footpath next to you, when you walk past each other in the street, picking up caramels from the bench next to me in the Milk Bar, they just naturally say sorry. "Oh sorry."

Of course, there is nothing wrong with saying sorry, many a Prime Minister has been reluctant to say it.

But what is it a sign a sign of? I don't know. That we are living in fear. When do you say sorry? When you are avoiding a confrontation. Why would you do that, because you are afraid... or some essence of that. It seems to becoming the default position of human beings now a days. Oh sorry.

I so often have the response in my head to someone who says sorry to me. "What are you sorry for?" Just for their very existence, it would seem. Ha, ha, I exaggerate. 

But have you noticed?

Somethings it seems to be the most bizarre thing. We just walked past each other, that's all we did.

Not that it really means anything, I guess. I just remember a time when people would have said hello, or how are you going, instead. Or did I dream my childhood?

No comments: