Sunday, April 20, 2008

Emus


Mark called around midday to say that the newly acquired emus were escaping and he needed someone to help him fix the wire on the orchard, where he is keeping them. Would I come up?
I was heading out over the undulating farm land passed Digger's Rest. Up over the hills, along the black ribbon of a road, under the clear blue sky and the sparkling sun stretching far ahead of me. As I came over one hill, there was a white 405 MI16 in the left hand lane, exactly the same as the one I used to own, which went up in flames. As I pulled up next to his driver's window, he smiled and I gazed at his handsome, blond, lightly bearded face, as he waved. I slowed down and pulled over into the left lane, just passed the car that was in front of him, which was the equivalent of getting down on my knees and sticking my arse in the air.

Come on, come on, I thought. I'm bored.

His right hand indicator came on, not long after and the Peugeot pulled into the right lane and accelerated. I pulled into the right lane, in front of him and we drove up the highway, fast, two by two, one behind the other. It was fun. I guess, boy's fun.

No comments: