Monday, February 06, 2012

Jobs, Movies and Coffee




Sam was rubbing my face and staring down at me and kissing me. He looked handsome in his dark blue striped shirt with his dark complexion.
He said he didn’t sleep very well, not until about 2am. He lay awake. He had been chatty where I’d drifted off. Twice he woke me as I entered nod, which was unusual and usually the other way around. I was the one who usually wanted to chat and it was he telling me to shut up.
It was before 8am when he kissed me good bye.
I woke again at 9.30.
I wanted to finish my journal and catch up my blog, as it was lagging behind by about four days.

I made coffee and muesli and got distracted by news on line, of course.

I caught up on my blogs, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I rewrote Thursday too. It, pretty much, took all day.

There seemed to be the sound of a bobcat somewhere outside. I headed up to the third floors to see if it was work they were doing in the beer garden next door. They weren’t.

I looked down at the atrium roof and saw the gutters were quite blocked. I could see damn Yucca fronds blocking it all. It was from yesterday and that storm we had. It deluged with rain.

I headed down and unblocked the gutters. Then I thought, fuck it! This thing has to go. It had grown huge too, why hadn’t I noticed that? It now towered over the houses.
I could see inside next door and there was nobody there. So, I went and got my poison and stood on my atrium roof and sprayed the fucker. I sprayed and spray, using a whole bottle of poison on it.

When I came back inside, I looked up killing Yuccas on the internet. Sadly, to my dismay, killing the fucking things is, apparently, quite an issue. They are near impossible to kill. Poison, chopping them down, ring barking them, nothing seems to work.
The only glimmer of hope was rock salt watered in at the base. I laughed to myself. Would I be game to pour rock salt at the base? And if I was how would I water it in?

Just before 5pm (old temp company) called. The lovely C – truthfully she sounds like a 20 year old straight out of uni – had been on annual leave and she had only just got my phone message.
The upshot is that they have started to train people on (the new system) in exchange for a commitment to work for three months after that for them.
I don’t think it is well paid, but, at least, it is an option and movement forward.
Is it possible that I could still be pissing around in 3 months without a job?

Adi arrived sometime around 5.30. We headed to the Nova. As we looked for a carpark, in the streets of Carlton, Adriana repeated a chant that Loli, apparently, says when she is looking for a car space. Loli’s mother said it before her.
“Mother Mary full of grace thank you for my parking space.”
I didn’t have time to respond really at all, when a car put on it’s indicator and pulled out of a centre of the road car space.
We were going to see The Decendants, we’d get the tickets first and then head off for something to eat. As we walked up to the box office, The Decendants was on at 6.45 and Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy was on at 7pm, but The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was on at 6.30. Adriana said she wouldn’t mind see that one day and I’d heard so much about it that I wouldn’t have minded seeing it too. So, right at the box office counter we changed movies.

We ate hamburgers at Grilled. We sat outside and drank Agrum while we ate. It was nice.

It was good, I liked it. At first I found it hard to follow, but I soon forgot that. The cinematography was wonderful, as was the style of the film, very chic, very modern urban, which is funny as most of it is set on a remote island. It kind of got wrapped up too quickly in the end, and I think I can see from that perspective how the book would be superior.
We ate tiramisu ice creams, laughing at the fact that we both had white shirts on and how it was most likely that we’d be leaving the cinema with chocolate all down our fronts. We didn’t.

We had coffee at Brunettis in the balmy night air afterwards. Adriana got us a seat in the two deep and twenty across tables of punters outside, which we marvelled at being a Monday night. There was a fine sprinkling of cute wog boys, it has to be noted. I headed in to get the drinks. My, my, my, I’ve walked past Brunettis many times recently but I haven’t been in and I haven’t noticed how big the place has got. Both Adriana and I said we remembered it as a shop front at one end. I even said that to the nice girl working behind one of the many counters and she looked left and then she looked right and said, “Oh that must have been years ago.”
“It probably was,” I said. More than I care to remember, as they say.
Now Brunettis is very chic and very slick and very big, it seemed to extend in every direction I looked.

Adriana are old friends who never see enough of each other. Old friends of twenty years, who need to have a present so we don’t keep reminiscing about the past when we see each other.
We had such a nice time we should do it again. “What do you think? Once a month?” 

No comments: