Thursday, August 04, 2016

Something From Nothing

I do love that process of sitting down and spending time in front of my laptop and having something at the end of that time that wasn't there before. It is really about creating something out of nothing. Having a blank page and then having something interesting replacing that white space.

It is really the only time where you literally create something from nothing. A blank page and then sentences and paragraphs.

That's the part I love. Having a thought. Wondering how I make that thought interesting. Wondering how I weave it into something. Having no idea at the beginning, and then watching it appear in front of me as I type. And then there it is. I'm as surprised as anybody that it has appeared.

It is the joy of discovery, as much as anything.

Okay, Fiona the Pig is a bit under cooked. I read it over last night and I could see that. Yeah, I'm lazy, I didn't read it right through before. Sometimes, I need time for that. You know, a gap before I go back. But, I will get onto that today to flesh it out and give it more detail. I write in layers, I know that.  I get the structure first, often with dialogue, and then I layer on the detail bit by bit. Maybe, I put Fiona the Pig up a few layers too early. Lets see what else I can come up with.

No comments: