Sunday, August 28, 2016

What Could Go Wrong?

I was up at 7am. Stupid bird cheeping in the tree.

Sam was up at 8am.

I cooked toast and coffee for breakfast.

We heard Andy call in sick. He has had a cold. Now I have a cold. I’m not blaming anyone for anything, but it is curious timing when I am planning to spend 3 days stoned.

We walked into the city. Sam wanted to buy a new body trimmer, so he could trim his pubes. (I wondered why? But chose not to think about it) We headed to Harvey Norman.

Sam looked at the hair trimmers.

I text Guido to remind him. If I was going at 5am, I don’t want anything to go wrong.

Sam price matched the hair trimmer we bought it.

We walked down Swanston Street. I had to finally admit that I was getting a cold, and we went to Chemist warehouse in The Bourke Street Mall.

We headed to Sushi Train, in MidCity.

I had a hair cut, despite still having scabs on the top of my head. (from the balcony falling apart and falling down on top of me) I got the adorable boy and had to show him the scabs on my head. How humiliating. Not really, but…

We walked to Melbourne Central and got ice creams, green tea for Sam and Black Sesame for me.

We walked home and were fucked when we got there. We both curled on the couch and went to sleep.

We were woken by the doorbell, and where we just wouldn’t answer it normally, Sam did. He just went to look through the peephole, when he saw it was Jane. She had called earlier, saying she would drop in before the football, and we’d forgotten momentarily in our exhaustion.

Jane left for the MCG at 2.45 to meet her school sweatheart, who's still a hot boy around town, so it would seem. All the girls like him, but he has never found the one. Never got married. It is a common thread through Jane's life. (Jane's first boyfriend was killed riding his motorbike recently. He had never had another girlfriend, to speak of, after Jane. At the funeral, his mother told Jane that he had always held out hope that she and he would get back together, sadly, something he never told Jane)

We walked Buddy to The Fitzroy Gardens at 3.15pm. Of course, he wouldn’t cross Gertrude Street in all his bulldogishness he wanted to go to the off-lead at the Commission Flats. A group sitting outside The pub though he was adorable... which is really hard when you are speaking to him through gritted teeth.

Every dog in The Fitzroy Gardens seemed to be off its lead, so Buddy was off his lead and mingling with other dogs off their leads and having a fine old time. We met Andy and Ricky sitting on a seat, and it was very civilised just to be able to walk up and say hello and have Buddy walk up just as an entity all of his own and say hello, and Andy and Ricky enjoyed seeing him. Well, Andy did. I think Ricky did, but being the new guy he got Buddy’s attention wholeheartedly, which is kind of over whelming for some. Ricky did okay, if I remember rightly.

I put him on his lead around Captain Cook’s Cottage, where all the tourists mingle.

But even then, I’d just put him on his lead, and he was resisting suddenly being constrained, when two Jack Russell’s ran up to him off their leads. The Jack Russell’s owners seemed genuinely concern that Buddy was about to be nasty, mistaking the normal bulldog face as the dog in a bad mood.

“Is he scared?” asked the other owner, running up to protect his own dogs.

Him? “Nah,” I said. “I just put him back on his lead. He always has that face”

Buddy pulled his cutest facial expression, and lept to attention. He and the Jack Russell’s all sniffed bums and kept walking.

“He’s gorgeous,” said the other guy.

We sat on a seat just before we left the gardens, to enjoy it just a little longer. Buddy hung with us.

I offered to drive Sam to the airport, but he insisted that the company was paying for it so he would catch a taxi. I tried to talk him into it. I didn’t want to insist, or anything, he would be on to me in seconds if I did. I had to play it really cool. But he just decided that he was going by taxi and that was it.

This was after he’d given up the thought of forging a taxi receipt, getting me to drive him to the airport, claiming the expense and making money on the company. He tired to download a Silver Top taxi receipt, but couldn’t. I told him it was fraud, and that he really should reconsider. A work colleague told him it was okay and to go ahead with it, it should be easy. Charlie, said if the company found out, it would look very badly on Sam, especially as this was his first assignment, he would be never trusted again.

There was nothing he could do, he’d just have to let the company pay for him to catch a taxi.

What could go wrong, I thought?

Andy brings that cute boy, Ricky, back home. They sit out the back and drink tea. It is a nice day. They make plans to go to Ricky’s to eat and then go to Cinema Nova.

Jane arrived for a cup of tea at 6pm.

We ate spaghetti for dinner. Mitch came out and watched Shark Tank. Andy came downstairs and drank tea and smoked cigarettes. Mitch said he was going out drinking. I wondered if that would interfere with my plans to sneak out after Sam leaves for the airport in the morning?


No comments: