Sunday, November 18, 2007

Stinky Old City

As I was leaving the country, on dusk, I felt cold and put a shirt on over the singlet I had been wearing all day. It was glorious up there; sunny all day, hot actually, cooling just as it blushed into dusk. Lovely. Always cool enough at night to sleep under the doona.

I had the air conditioning going all the way home, as Chaka Khan entertained me with her new cd, Funk This. I pulled into my car space, at the rear of the house and swung the door open to be met by a close, sweaty, sticky, hot old city. I wondered why I even come back.

The shirt, I had put on before I left, stuck to my skin.

We've got it all wrong in the city - all that concrete that takes forever to cool down. The country is always glorious at night, no matter how hot it has been during the day.

By the way, whose giving up their air conditioner because of global warming?

 

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

chaka khan's funk rocks. it was my rotation on sunday. surprising how she's made a comeback after all these years .... or am i just growing old?

FletcherBeaver said...

Nobody sings like Chuka Khan.