Friday, November 19, 2010

Make Me Smile

I made my appointment with the osteopath at midday so I would have no trouble getting to it on time. Day off and all. Of course, I struggled, getting there at five minutes passed. Isn’t that always the way, no matter how much time you have? I don't really care so much with medical professionals, though, as they always keep me waiting. I mean I try, best intentions, and all.

I’ve got an out of line rib, or something, too much time spent sitting at my computer. Apparently? Who’d have thought?

I don’t like massage, as a rule, but the osteopath’s warm hands felt good, nurturing, healing. I guess it’s the promise of something medical and something that is curing that makes it feel more acceptable. I don’t know, it just felt good and not stressful.


I bought avocados at Piedes, the North Fitzroy supermarket, on my way home, when I stopped to buy pies. I got out of the car with both shoe laces undone and flopping around, everyone at the tram stopped watched me as if worried for my safety, or was I imagining it? I can’t help but think of the old days, having lived just around the corner when I first moved to Fitzroy. It’s an appealing, old fashioned supermarket, you know, the type with lots of wood instead of lots of white laminex, normal light globes instead of floods. 

I followed a hot-arse, dark curly-haired tradie into the shop. Nice chunky-arse rocking backward and forward with every step he took. Hot. I was mesmerized, my attention captured completely, practically drooling. Ha, ha. What did I come in here for?

The woman in front of me at the checkout was having a discussion about the $5 price difference between the white lilies and the pink lilies and how it wasn’t made clear that there was a price difference between the two different colours. She wanted them for the cheaper price, trying to sound reasonable instead of cheap. Just pay the extra $5 you cheap bitch, is all I could think.

Funny how I stop for junk food, but the conscience kicks and I end up going for the healthy option, before I walk out the door.


I went riding in the afternoon. The sun was shining down gloriously, the sky was a teal blue. There was a bit of wind, which was cold to start off with, but as I got going I forgot all about that. It felt good, stretching the legs, stretching the lungs. I'd promised myself I'd go riding every second day and I hadn't been since Monday.

Sam messaged me just as I got back and said he was coming over after work. I told him I’d been riding and he was mock horrified that I hadn’t asked him, waited for him. Very disappointed, he said.

He arrived just after 5.30, saying that I just had to go riding again. So, I did a second circuit around the bike track around the Yarra. Another hour long ride. I can’t believe you didn’t wait for me?

Halfway around he complained about it being far. Three quarters of the way around, he accused me of trying to kill him. 

That made me smile.


No comments: