Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Walking the Dog

I took Buddy for a walk after work. We walked to Johnston Street, where we turned to come home, and after we did, Buddy just sat down and wouldn’t budge. Nope, I’m not walking home. I knew Bulldogs had a tendency to be stubborn, but I didn’t get exactly what that meant. It took me an hour, carrying him, and dragging him, and hating him all the way home.

All this time there was this clearly insane man, all decked out in teal, hat and all, dancing and pirouetting and gesturing to people, bowing and allowing imaginary people go before him. He was really, completely, in the other room. Well he, pretty much, stayed level with us. I’d get so exasperated, I’d pick Buddy up and carry him, but he is twenty something kilos and a dead weight, so I can’t carry him for long and then he wouldn’t move. And insanity would catch up with us again, living, what seemed like, a completely blissful existence. But I tell you, when the dog was driving me nuts, I’d look up to see hell twirling next to me. I wanted to scream… but, mostly ended up laughing. Mostly.

And then, of course, it was all the boys sitting outside the pub drinking beer, who got the equivalent of me trying to drag Buddy, then picking him up and carrying him, then putting him down, as he was too heavy, him not moving for a good ten minutes of giggle time, only to have me carry him again, again crumbling under the weight…

… I thought I was going to lose my mind.

And right at the moment, just before I was going to drop to my knees and cry, Why won’ you move! Raising my fists to the heaven, a beautiful straight couple came riding by in the sunshine, who Buddy began to followed and they thought he was adorable, because he is, and they played along, they laughed and said yes follow us.

They were both beautiful, who wouldn’t follow them anywhere.

The girl laughed and swished her beautiful golden hair and flashed her Cameron Diaz smile and said, “I’ll give you $10 for him right now?” I thought she was super cool.

“Do you know how tempting that sounds?” I said.

That got the Buddy and me home.


No comments: