Tuesday, September 17, 2013

We Ate Fried Rice

I left home on time today. It was overcast and wintery, kind of grey, but not cold. I had a smoke by the car, shh Sam still hasn’t guessed. (Don't know how?)

Lollipop Lady Shirl was on the crossing this morning, with her Stop Sign up to stop the traffic, as I approached. It is the first time I have, actually, seen her doing something, other than gasbagging on the footpath with mates. There were no cars to stop, so she was just out there with the sign and the kids, stomping about, little people in over-sized clothes, one and all. Ha, ha.


It was a checking day at work, so no worries about something to do. All smooth sailing. The morning disappeared… with a bag of Twisties.

I wondered if it is strange that I sit in the lunch room and write on my laptop at lunch times. Is it strange if an employee goes straight from his work computer to a laptop in the kitchen? I’ve been writing this at work instead of reading the newspaper, I figure I get enough of the world psycho drama. So, if my writing seems like a small, lemon square box, well that is the reason.

The day was all over and done with pretty easily, head down bum up. (Funny how work and play essentially have the same instructions) I am still going to have to address the problem of not enough to do. I can’t sit and twiddle my thumbs like I can at home, no, it is the exact opposite. That last excruciating tick of the clock up to 5pm is interminable, otherwise. I have to be busy at work, flat out is preferable.


I got home in 12 minutes, door to door, speaking of flatout. A Ford Focus followed me quickly from the new flats, around the brewery. Around the S bends. Over the speed humps. The sharp left. The sharp right. He was behind me all the way. It was fun. My eyes glanced in the rear view mirror. I looked out the front. I could see the green lights up ahead. I sped through the Hoddle Street intersection, I've never known the lights to stay green for so long, I thought, as I sped through with the light still on green. The Focus didn’t make the lights. It’s 50kph along there, grimace.

I came home and rolled a joint. Straight up. Don’t be mistaken.

Jill rang from the fat farm. She says she is meeting women like her who all want to tell her their stories. She said she’d run out of enthusiasm for it. She was down the cricket oval sneaking a mobile phone call behind the bleachers. If she smoked, she'd be sneaking one of them too. But she doesn't. I hope she didn't have any emergency cherry pie.

We ate Fried Rice. It smelt great as it cooked. It tasted better. There was a food mountain in the wok. We had plenty for tomorrow’s lunches. Yay. It is nice having lunch organised, I miss it when I don’t take my lunch box.

No comments: