Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Yowser! I Shivered at the Thought. Three Days to do Nothing

I left home early, a few minutes before 8am. I’m not exactly sure how that happened, it wasn’t intentional. It was bright and I was driving into the sunshine as I drove down Victoria Parade. I couldn’t see very well, but, I think, that was mostly due to my windscreen needing a wash, than the glare. Lovely sunny morning drive, who cares if you can’t see. Vision is optional. Oh come on, it is early in the week. I haven’t even woken up yet.

What was I going to do today, I’m still a bit light on for work. Ha ha. Er? Cathy had said to me yesterday afternoon, that if I wanted a break from what I was doing, there were a couple of things I could do. So, I got onto those things first thing this morning. I made it fill in most of the day. Something pretty simple, I stretched it out.

A break from what I was doing? Really? What did she think I was doing?

Christine was away with her son’s 18th birthday, so there was nobody behind me looking at what was on my screen. So, I read the news for a greater part of the day. E news. That is only fulfilling for a few hours, really, but I made do. Ha ha. It was a struggle but I made do.

What do they think that I am doing? I mean I ask you? I have two bosses, neither of who are talking to each other. That is how I get away with it. One clearly thinks I am doing something for the other. Shrug. While the other one thinks the same. To be fair, I’m 30% of my time in one department and 70% in the other at the moment I’m in the 70% which isn’t her time allocation.

On my way out the door I said, “Good night everybody, see you tomorrow.” Like I do every night. It is one thing I learned from the black law firm, you can’t be too nice to everybody. (if you don’t want it to come back and bite you on the arse)

“Monday,” said Cathy, peeking over the top of her computer.

Monday? What? “Pardon?” I said. What is she talking about?

“I won’t be in until Monday,” said Cathy. “I am spending two days with my mum and then I am taking Friday off.”

“Oh well,” I said. Why wasn’t I told. “Enjoy that.”

She smiled. Spending time with elderly parents, was I being rude?

I turned and headed out the door. Three days to do nothing, I thought. Yowser! I shivered at the thought. Three days to do nothing sounds good in theory, but at work that can become really boring, really quickly. It is always better to have too much work than not enough. Now it will be three days when nobody will be watching what I am doing in any way, shape, or form. Boo hoo/Yay!

Everybody loves me. I need to get out of there before they all twig, I often think. I’m a contractor, why do I care, I think after that.

Sam bought home samosa to eat before we went to North Melbourne. I post my tax to my accountant, but Sam still goes to see his. We had to be there by 7pm. It was the same place as in previous years, Queensberry Street. Buddy and I both went. I walked Buddy as Sam met with the accountant. She was half an hour late. Bitch! She was scared of Buddy and wanted me to move him away from the doorway when she got there. We were sitting on the front step waiting. Cow! She just kind of stood on the footpath and raised her shoulders up and down, rather than talking, like a half whit. Then she charged Sam $50 extra to process the contract work he did for his old company. Bitch! said Sam.

Buddy and I walked to Errol Street. I like North Melbourne, with its wide, open streets and its wide footpaths and its charm. It has a relaxed calm that Fitzroy has lost. We walked back, but Sam wasn’t ready. Buddy climbed into the car as soon as I opened the door as if he’d had enough. Sam text that he wouldn’t be ready for a while, so Buddy and I walked in the other direction, down Queensberry Street to where it tips over an embankment and seems to come to a stop at Munster Terrace. I want to live on Munster Terrace. What a cool address. We walked to Arden Street and then to Dryburgh Street. We met up with two curly-haired dogs that were being walked by two poofs. And older guy and a younger guy. I bet the older guy hates being described in that way. Older. He wasn’t old, he was just the older one. The younger guy was handsome. And kind of blushed, cute.

We were heading home around 8.30pm. We drove to Woollies so Sam could buy chicken to make Indonesian Chicken. Buddy and I sat parked illegally in a drive way. Somehow Sam missed us – the guy in the Porsche was leaving just as Sam walked by and he got distracted – and the next thing he was texting us from the round a bout up the road.

“How could you miss us?”

“Oh, I don’t know. Don’t question me!”

“Really? That is the best you can come up with?”

“Do I need to come up with better?”

“Yes, mate”

“Ha ha! Walking back to you now.”

Buddy wouldn’t eat his food. He ate a little bit, not much though. We tried to feed him pieces of chow, he ate some pieces but he spat other pieces out.


No comments: