Monday, July 19, 2021

Stick to the Plan, Jan

I picked up a wrecked bike in [name of street] Street some months ago. It had no wheels, nothing much of anything really, but it had a basket on the front, and I’d been toying with the idea of getting a basket for my go-and-do-errands bike, but couldn’t quite make up my mind about it. I always meant to remove the basket and return the bike immediately to where I found it, but I got lazy and life got in the way.

I had to do something, yesterday, I can’t be someone who never does anything, I thought, or be perceived to be so, so I finally took the basket off the wrecked bike. And like most things that one puts off and puts off and puts off, in the end it took no time at all.

I hesitated momentarily with what to do with the bike, but in the end, I decided to stick to the original plan.

There is a type of small grassy area next to a warehouse conversion where the bike was laying when I found it. So, I took it back and placed it back there. So, the owners of that warehouse will see the inexplicable return of the old mauve bike, gone for a few months and then back again. WTF?

And that, my friends, is how people think miracles occur. They can’t explain something, so therefore it is a miracle. But no, there is always an explanation, my friends, and just because you don’t know what that explanation is, a miracle hasn’t occurred, not by the nun who has been dead for 60 years, not by the most beloved pope, not by Wanda the palm reader.

 

Then I went on with the weeding around the pond.


No comments: