Monday, April 29, 2024

My Girlfriend

It is my ex-girlfriend’s birthday. She'd be, um? Oh, it doesn't matter, it was years ago.

We haven't seen each other going on 14 years, not since Jill's birthday in December of that year. That is a long time now, hey. I used to think we'd know each other forever. I thought we'd always be in each other's lives. We were perfect for each other. She felt like 'home' as they say from the moment I met her.

Her mother always said I was the one, even when my ex-girlfriend married her future husband, her mother said I was the one.

But, then, you know...

And she moved to Sydney and became a corporate Sydney type and she just got to be too much.

But, I always think of her on this day.

I wonder how she is? I could call her, of course. Nyr.

She never tried to fight for our friendship when I stopped talking to her. Oh, she made a vague attempt with a birthday card 13 years ago, but that was all. She never phoned me up and said, "What is wrong? Why aren't you talking to me?"

No, she never did that.

So, it just faded away, our friendship.

Truthfully, if I was only going to mention the negative, she has only really ever been into herself, and moving to Sydney just seemed to reinforce that.

And that was that. I tried to stay friends with her, and we did for quite a while, she always called her husband my name when I was around, but when she started to treat our meetups as job interviews, what are you doing with your life, where do you see yourself in 5 years, I was done. It was over. The narcissist Sydney attitude had taken her over. It’s a shame really, she was really truly wonderful, once.


No comments: