Tuesday, April 03, 2012

I Had To Kick It Up A Notch. I Was Doing Everything Only For The Second Time, For The First Time On Some Things

I got to work at 8.15.

“Good morning.”

“Good morning.”

“In early.” Smoking Brenda was impressed, I could tell.

She’d bought in chocolate and macadamia cookies.

It was steak sandwiches for lunch.


We got it all done. I’m not so sharp when I have been smoking pot. When I don’t smoke pot, I can be told something once and I’ll remember. After a few days on the choof, I’m struggling to remember everything.

It’s my first assignment, I have to do a good job. I can’t even let it slide and think I won’t be there soon.


“Who would have thought we could have got everything in two days.”

I smiled.

“We work well together.”

“Yes.”

“Don’t you think?”

“We do, yes, I think we work well together.”

“It’s nice and calm and stress free.”

“Sure, I can’t work any other way.”

“Oh, don’t expect it to be like this next week when Eve is back.”

“I don’t really get it.”

“She doesn’t work together. She’ll just throw all the work at you.”

“We’ll be okay.”

“And I won’t be here for two of those days to protect you.” She laughed her smoky laugh.”

“That’s Thursday and Friday, isn’t it?”

“Yep.”

At least all the deadlines are over by then. I will only having Surly Eve for two days when the heat is off, well, the immediate heat. She sounds like the type who dramas on because she thinks that means she is busy and in control. I shiver in anticipation.

It’s like waiting for a car wreck to happen, waiting for Eve to return.

Eve, I know the type. All of her stapled internal envelopes have been torn open, staples still in situ.



I left at 4.15pm. I was home sitting at my coffee table with my laptop with a cup of tea, messaging Sam and telling him so.

Lovely. What is in your hand?


Apparently, we are having an Indian Summer. Really? I bought firewood, but that makes no never mind, I’ll use it slower.

It is strange to think, when just a week ago it was freezing.

A weird climate? It is a surprise.


It is practically dark outside by 6.30pm.

Shane went to yoga, he had food already.

I made scrambled eggs and ate Nutella toast with banana.

Two and half men. Big Bang Theory. Two broke girls. Top Gear. On revolve, it would seem.

Shane didn’t roll any joints. Good thing I’d… um… er… well, you know.


He had a look like a school girl’s girlish giggle on his face all night as he was distracted with messages on his phone. Smiling, giggling, chuckling to himself. He was in his bedroom late talking loudly on his mobile phone. There was a lot of laughing and being fabulous going on and a lot of coy quiet cooing words too. There was a general air of smitteness.

No comments: