Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Day of the Party

I was awake at 5.30am. Awake. Tossing and turning. I got up to look at the sunrise in the cool morning air at the balcony doors.

“What are you doing,” Sam asked.

“I’m awake.”

“Oh, you just want to spend time with your BFF (marijuana),” Sam hissed.

“It’s a beautiful morning.”

“You’ll go and smoke your head off unsupervised,” Sam hissed again.

I jumped on the bed and pinched his exposed leg. It shot out of the way. I pinched his arse. “Shut up grumpy pants.”

“You’re going to go and smoke like a train.”

I rubbed his head.

“Calm, calm, you are sleepy and will soon fall into a deep sleep,” I said.

Buddy came in momentarily, but went back to his house.

My joint kept going out and I had to keep lighting it, it was annoying.

I feel like I have a sty on my eyelid.

The cool wind blew in the back door.

A few birds cheeped outside.


I like getting up early and writing my journal in solitude. I write getting up in the morning. I write what happened the previous night. On a work day, I get to work and I spend at least half an hour on more of what happened in the morning, going over what I had written for the previous 24 hours. If I come home at 4.30pm and write up the day, all good then, otherwise that can be missed, although if I write later at night, this can be caught up, of course. I just hate it when I open my journal and I have missed 3 days. Damn!

I mixed the stewed apple through my now soaked for half an hour muesli, until it goes like a kind of bircher porridge.

The coffee is good. It must be my favourite thing, coffee. There is nothing as good. Ah, all bow down at the feet of the coffee god.

6.20. I’m really stoned, on to my second coffee, extra long, extra strong, with milk to three bars on the machines milk dial. I hope Sam doesn’t get up just yet, all his predictions have come true, if he does.

I might need to have a lie down on the couch. Suddenly it is too hard to look at the bright screen.

I only smoked 2 joints, but I had to lay back on the couch, my head was spinning. I had to hang on momentarily, as the room spun and I felt sick. What the hell. I’m on holidays. I had to think about the weather. Next week, working for four more days, I’m not on holidays at all. The Xmas party on Wednesday in the park and I thought of Louis (my favourite intern from work), in his good pants. Then down the beach, Torquay. Buddy on his own. Hoping Anton (Rachel's son) will come through on the dog sitting. I’m so glad my couch is so comfy. Still and quiet, not a sound, the silence of the early morning. Ah relaxed. When I closed my eyes it was dark outside, when I reopened them it was getting light, although they may, actually, be directly as a result of the time of the morning, more so than how long I slept.

Sam came down. He chastised me for being so stoned already.

We took Buddy for a walk at 7.20am, before the day got too hot.

It was boiling hot by 9.30am. We’re all going to burn. I reckon something will burn, we’ll have to wait until tonight’s news.

I cleared the coffee table.

Mark vacuumed.

We played Cyndi Lauper.

By midday it was burning hot outside. The sun was blaring. The air was soup.

Mark and Luke worked around us. Sam and I sat in the lounge room at the spotlessly clean coffee table. The carpet had been deodorised. It was still cool inside. Buddy came in, it was so hot outside.

Sam and I laughed stoned from the coffee table.

We watched old episodes of Friends while we waited for the hordes to arrive for the 40th birthday.

Lolly and Rob were the first to arrive, sometime after 5pm. LouLou arrived, she even found her way unaided. Adriana was next. Perry and Wesley. David and Lachlan. We sat outside mostly, anywhere we could find fresh air. The day was hot.

The other’s had some party drug love from Adriana, but she didn’t give Sam and I any. “We’re obviously no fun,” said Sam.

There was lots of food. Fifteen people didn’t show up. Jeff & Raymond, Andrew & Saffy, Matt & Rob, Mark & Luke’s friend’s from Lismore, Jamie and Pascal. Rachel La Vine.



It was old school, old friends, all night.

By the end Adriana was controlling the dance music with her smart phone, as we all sat dazed in our chairs.

We went to bed at 2.30am.


No comments: