Saturday, June 30, 2018

Out With Mates

We left home at 6.30pm, for Ms Chris’s and Sebastian’s for dinner, due at 7pm. Sebastian has just moved in with Ms Chris. He’d put up with James’s Wang’s mental decline for, oh how long has it been, years? And, I am guessing, there is only so much insanity you can put up with when the person themselves is doing nothing to help themselves. Sebastian and James have lived together for as long as I have known them, so this is quite a change.

We arrived at 7pm, to no familiar cars parked out the front of the house, except, of course, for Sebastian’s, but that was to be expected.

“I guess everyone has taxi’d it,” I say to Sam.

“I guess,” says Sam.

Damn it, we should have to? What was I thinking?

Everybody was there. Ms Chris, Sebastian, Lauri, Harry, Adriana, Jesse Jackson, Johnny and his boyfriend Billy, with who Johnny has been in a long term relationship, who we’ve never met before. Adriana, and I made a comment. “How could we not have met him?”

“How could we not?” I say.

“How?” says Adriana perplexed.

We’ve known Johnny since the beginning of the 90s when we all used to take drugs and party together, and we’d never heard of Billy, let alone met him. WTF?

“Yeah, Billy likes to keep a low profile,” said Lauri.

“What?” I said.

“What?” said Adriana.

“Really fucken low,” I said.

Adriana agreed.

She, and I, looked at each other and laughed, it seemed so incredulous. How? We shook our heads like it couldn’t be true.

And Billy was really nice? There was no reason to keep him hidden?

We drank wine and smoked pot, Johnny and Jesse were rolling joints. The joints and the wine kept coming. Pretty smartly, I decided that I wasn’t driving home. Besides, Jill was coming over for breakfast tomorrow, she could drive me back to get my car, she wouldn’t mind.

Sebastian cooked a mountain of food. Scallop potatoes. Greens. Beans. Moussaka. Pork, which was great. All the food was in serving dishes which weight a ton, all double handers. Don’t really know why, but knowing Sebastian that’s be some name brand kitchenware.

It seemed to take 2 hours between mains and desert. We sat and we sat and we sat. At one point, I tried to hurry Sebastian up by suggesting coffee.

“Don’t you want desert first?” he replied.

“Yes,” yes, I did.

We didn’t get desert until after midnight. Sebastian did the mains, Ms Chris did the desert. The desert was delicious, berry crumble. Sam thought Sebastian was bitching about Ms Chris and her kitchen etiquette. Sam thought there was tension between the two? Ha ha, I thought, two of the most “definite” people on the planet, of course there is going to be tension.

Old mates. We chatted the night away. We talked about music, of course. Sebastian had some music streaming service where his log on, whatever it is called, was Seabsatian666. Adriana laughed.

I said. “I have met people who have seriously said that Sebastian Gondola was Satan.” I was thinking of Jill when Sebastian drunk as you like threw a fork at her head. But there have been others.

Everybody laughed. Sebastian gets a bad rap, which he brings on himself, but he is really a pussy cat underneath it all.

Adriana talked about the old days. We discussed fluid gender issues, and the multiple sexes people are claiming these days. We all decided that it is simple, we don’t have to understand it, if we don’t identify with other than male, or female, we just have to accept it. We talked politics, all pretty left wing, of course. None of us are stupid conservatives, too frightened of change. We gave the state of the world a go. None of us really had any complaints, life is good for all of us. Plastic bags, just ban them, people will adapt, we can’t be worried about the fools who deny climate change and pollution. Ignore the sooks. Pot, one of life’s necessities. We talked drugs and how none of us do them anymore. How times have changed. Pot, of course, isn’t a drug, it is a herb, something natural, good for everyone. Just legalise them, you are only making criminals rich with prohibition, it has never worked anyway.

We left the car there and caught an Uber home. I did wonder if I could drive just before we left. Funny, I only ever think about the alcohol, never how much pot I have had. And I decided that I‘d too much wine. Four glasses in 5, or 6 hours. As the taxi was, seemingly, careering down Brunswick Road, I was pleased that I didn’t drive. It was like being twenty again, I haven’t done that in years, left the car behind.


No comments: