Friday, March 04, 2022

The Floods

My stepdaughter's house, on stilts one floor up, flooded in Lismore. She woke to water lapping at her feet, and by the time her head spun and she tried to think what to do, the water was half way up her thighs and rising fast. 

As panic started to set in, she heard a voice call out and a man was at her balcony in a boat. “Get in,” he said.

“And my dog?” she asked. (She has an enormous dog)

“Yes, the dog too,” said the man, “Get in.”

And she and her son and her great big dog got in and the man took them to safety.

The water eventually rose up to her roof.

 

What can you say?

I'm not really sure what to say. I'd like to say that it will be alright, but I'm not so sure. We have all been let down by successive governments ignoring the problem for 20 years, 30 years, being paid off by big business and vested interests and now we are getting to the point where all of the doomsday predictions are starting to come true. But, I know, that me saying this helps not at all, because even this probably isn't going to change anything. Hopefully it will lead to voters electing governments with credible climate change policies, but I doubt it. The plebeians with go for the tax cuts and nothing will change… until it is too late… I suspect. (And if the mindless protests about the pandemic are anything to go by, what hope is there for the draconian legislation they will inevitably bring in to save the planet and our sad arses just as the doomsday clock strikes 5 seconds to midnight)


No comments: