Friday, July 21, 2006

Brought it on Myself?

Thank you universe. Thank you world. Instant karma is coming to get you, as John Lennon once said.

Late yesterday, my neck got stiff, the back of my head thick, my eyes felt the sharp pins, you know, at the back in vital nerves, before my scalp started to ache and my stomach went on the quease. I went to bed early, deciding I should get myself to work today - worrying a little about my predisposition for psychosomatic manifestations.

I woke at 1 am with a full-tilt migraine, blaring through every cell in my brain. I thought my head was going to explode, after a while I was hoping my head would explode and just kill me, even that would have been better than the excruciating, get no relief, pain I was experiencing.

If I lay flat on my back, my pounding head intensified. If I lay on my side, my stomach slid all of it's bile all the way up into my throat. As I'd never thrown up with a migraine before, always got to the edge but never gone over, I decided on my side. Harmless nauseousness, although annoying, was better than an exploding head.

Then suddenly, the bile was sliding passed my throat and into my mouth. Erump, went my stomach. My saliva turned metallic, my mouth became hot, I started to sweat, I couldn't swallow without fearing the worst.

This is ridiculous, I thought, I have never chucked on a...

I was out of bed, four steps and I was in the bathroom. Oh fuuuuuu....

Heave! Gulp for breath. Heave! Heave! There was nothing in my stomach, nothing to come up. Heave!

Heave! Heave! It was like screaming into a vacuum, gasping into a void. All of my muscles were doing their very special sickness dance, from the pit of my stomach to the tip of my tongue, but there was nothing to lubricate the exhale, nothing to make it wet, so all those muscles were clamping down on themselves. Fellow Migraine sufferers have said to me before that I was lucky not to get the vomiting stage, as it was particularly nasty. Now I know what they mean.

I vomited at 1.06, 2.10 and 3.46 am.

So the irony is, that I'm now dragging my sorry arse into work, my head is sore, my neck is stiff, I have the broken vision thing happening, and my stomach is grumbling, but for the moment, staying put. I feel exhausted.

Happy days.

 

2 comments:

RIC said...

I feel for you, Christian, and hope by the time I'm writing this you've got better.
I thought something like that would only happen to me as a kind of punishment from above: stay one day at home just for the pleasure of doing something else and then... the lightning would strike mercylessly.
Maybe next time you won't go after that bowl of yours so gladly...
Please, Christian, get well soon! I only know how mean a migraine can be because my mother, in her last months, used to have strong ones. It's really nasty.
I'll hold my fingers crossed. :-)

FletcherBeaver said...

All better. You know, sometimes just getting out of the house and having other things about which to think, works miracles. I'd pretty much stopped having them until my current empoyment, make of that whatyou will.